Test-drive the GATK tools and Best Practices pipelines on Terra

Check out this blog post to learn how you can get started with GATK and try out the pipelines in preconfigured workspaces (with a user-friendly interface!) without having to install anything.

Preserve Case when Using FastaAlternateReferenceMaker

nathanhaighnathanhaigh Adelaide, AustraliaMember

I had soft masked a FASTA file using BEDTools' maskfasta and wanted to use this as input to FastaAlternateReferenceMaker as well as a VCF file. I was suprised to see that FastaAlternateReferenceMaker had undone all the soft masking and output all uppercase bases. I would like to be able to preserve the case of my input reference sequence.

My particular use case is as follows:
1) I had performed a read mapping against a reference genome
2) I called variants from this mapping to create a VCF
3) I soft masked bases which had zero coverage from my reads
4) I wanted to use the soft masked reference plus VCF to generate a new reference for my sample where the output would still contain the information about which bases had zero coverage from my sample.

Issue · Github
by Geraldine_VdAuwera

Issue Number
State
open
Last Updated
Assignee
Array

Answers

• Geraldine_VdAuweraGeraldine_VdAuwera Cambridge, MAMember, Administrator, Broadie admin

Hi @nathanhaigh,

Our reference utilities are a bit primitive because we don't use them much ourselves -- the lack of case sensitivity was no doubt an oversight. So we'll put in a feature request to get this done, though I can't guarantee when we'll get to it.