Holiday Notice:
The Frontline Support team will be offline February 18 for President's Day but will be back February 19th. Thank you for your patience as we get to all of your questions!

Error while running GATK4 CNV workflow (something with the HDF5 lib)

xuejiaxuejia CrownbioMember

Hi the GATK team,
I am a new user of GATK4 CNV workflow. I always had an error while running the 3rd step NormalizeSomaticReadCounts:

16:08:11.670 INFO IntelGKLUtils - Trying to load Intel GKL library from:
jar:file:/home/jxue/softwares/GATK4_CNV/gatk4.jar!/com/intel/gkl/native/libIntelGKL.so
16:08:11.716 INFO IntelGKLUtils - Intel GKL library loaded from classpath.
[February 14, 2017 4:08:11 PM CST] org.broadinstitute.hellbender.tools.exome.NormalizeSomaticReadCounts --input E08055T.pcov.txt --panelOfNormals combined-normals.tsv --tangentNormalized E08055T.tn.tsv --preTangentNormalized E08055T.ptn.tsv --help false --version false --verbosity INFO --QUIET false --use_jdk_deflater false
[February 14, 2017 4:08:11 PM CST] Executing as [email protected] on Linux 2.6.32-431.el6.x86_64 amd64; Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM 1.8.0_112-b15; Version: Version:0288cff-SNAPSHOT
16:08:11.719 INFO NormalizeSomaticReadCounts - Defaults.BUFFER_SIZE : 131072
16:08:11.719 INFO NormalizeSomaticReadCounts - Defaults.COMPRESSION_LEVEL : 5
16:08:11.719 INFO NormalizeSomaticReadCounts - Defaults.CREATE_INDEX : false
16:08:11.719 INFO NormalizeSomaticReadCounts - Defaults.CREATE_MD5 : false
16:08:11.719 INFO NormalizeSomaticReadCounts - Defaults.CUSTOM_READER_FACTORY :
16:08:11.719 INFO NormalizeSomaticReadCounts - Defaults.EBI_REFERENCE_SERVICE_URL_MASK : http://www.ebi.ac.uk/ena/cram/md5/%s
16:08:11.719 INFO NormalizeSomaticReadCounts - Defaults.NON_ZERO_BUFFER_SIZE : 131072
16:08:11.719 INFO NormalizeSomaticReadCounts - Defaults.REFERENCE_FASTA : null
16:08:11.719 INFO NormalizeSomaticReadCounts - Defaults.SAM_FLAG_FIELD_FORMAT : DECIMAL
16:08:11.719 INFO NormalizeSomaticReadCounts - Defaults.USE_ASYNC_IO_READ_FOR_SAMTOOLS : false
16:08:11.719 INFO NormalizeSomaticReadCounts - Defaults.USE_ASYNC_IO_WRITE_FOR_SAMTOOLS : false
16:08:11.720 INFO NormalizeSomaticReadCounts - Defaults.USE_ASYNC_IO_WRITE_FOR_TRIBBLE : false
16:08:11.720 INFO NormalizeSomaticReadCounts - Defaults.USE_CRAM_REF_DOWNLOAD : false
16:08:11.720 INFO NormalizeSomaticReadCounts - Deflater IntelDeflater
16:08:11.720 INFO NormalizeSomaticReadCounts - Initializing engine
16:08:11.720 INFO NormalizeSomaticReadCounts - Done initializing engine
log4j:WARN No appenders could be found for logger (org.broadinstitute.hdf5.HDF5Library).
log4j:WARN Please initialize the log4j system properly.
log4j:WARN See http://logging.apache.org/log4j/1.2/faq.html#noconfig for more info.
HDF5-DIAG: Error detected in HDF5 (1.8.14) thread 0:
#000: /mnt/scr1/abyrne/HDFJava-platypus-2.11/native/HDF5-prefix/src/HDF5/src/H5F.c line 604 in H5Fopen(): unable to open file
major: File accessibilty
minor: Unable to open file
#001: /mnt/scr1/abyrne/HDFJava-platypus-2.11/native/HDF5-prefix/src/HDF5/src/H5Fint.c line 1085 in H5F_open(): unable to read superblock
minor: Read failed
#002: /mnt/scr1/abyrne/HDFJava-platypus-2.11/native/HDF5-prefix/src/HDF5/src/H5Fsuper.c line 277 in H5F_super_read(): file signature not found
minor: Not an HDF5 file
16:08:11.775 INFO NormalizeSomaticReadCounts - Shutting down engine
[February 14, 2017 4:08:11 PM CST] org.broadinstitute.hellbender.tools.exome.NormalizeSomaticReadCounts done. Elapsed time: 0.00 minutes.
Runtime.totalMemory()=1465384960
org.broadinstitute.hdf5.HDF5LibException: exception when opening '/home/jxue/xue/CopywriteR/79WES_TandN/combined-normals.tsv' with READ_ONLY mode: Not an HDF5 file
at org.broadinstitute.hdf5.HDF5File.open(HDF5File.java:490)
at org.broadinstitute.hdf5.HDF5File.(HDF5File.java:82)
at org.broadinstitute.hdf5.HDF5File.(HDF5File.java:66)
at org.broadinstitute.hellbender.tools.exome.NormalizeSomaticReadCounts.doWork(NormalizeSomaticReadCounts.java:105)
at org.broadinstitute.hellbender.cmdline.CommandLineProgram.runTool(CommandLineProgram.java:108)
at org.broadinstitute.hellbender.cmdline.CommandLineProgram.instanceMainPostParseArgs(CommandLineProgram.java:166)
at org.broadinstitute.hellbender.cmdline.CommandLineProgram.instanceMain(CommandLineProgram.java:185)
at org.broadinstitute.hellbender.Main.instanceMain(Main.java:76)
at org.broadinstitute.hellbender.Main.main(Main.java:92)
Caused by: ncsa.hdf.hdf5lib.exceptions.HDF5FileInterfaceException: Not an HDF5 file
at ncsa.hdf.hdf5lib.H5._H5Fopen(Native Method)
at ncsa.hdf.hdf5lib.H5.H5Fopen(H5.java:2795)
at org.broadinstitute.hdf5.HDF5File.open(HDF5File.java:487)
... 8 more

I guess it should be the problem with HDF5 library.
Please reply as soon as possible. Thank you very much in advance!

Cheers,
Jia

Tagged:

Best Answer

Answers

• EADGEADG KielMember ✭✭✭

Hi @xuejia,

Iam not an expert for gatk4 CNV but after a short glance at your stack-trace I would say either your hdf5 file is corrupt or is not on the position you specified or there is a right/permission problem.

Can you check this ?

• xuejiaxuejia CrownbioMember

@EADG said:
    Hi @xuejia,

Iam not an expert for gatk4 CNV but after a short glance at your stack-trace I would say either your hdf5 file is corrupt or is not on the position you specified or there is a right/permission problem.

Can you check this ?

Thank you for your answer! I have no idea. I followed the instruction (http://depts.washington.edu/cssuwb/wiki/linux_hdf5_installation) to install HDF5 1.8.13 for my Redhat system. And then put HDF5-Java JNI Libraries Release 2.9 under "/usr/lib/jni/" as the tutorial (http://gatkforums.broadinstitute.org/gatk/discussion/6791/description-and-examples-of-the-steps-in-the-cnv-case-and-cnv-pon-creation-workflows#) described. Then gave the command to run the analysis:
    java -Djava.library.path=/usr/lib/jni/lib/linux/ -jar /home/jxue/softwares/GATK4_CNV/gatk4.jar NormalizeSomaticReadCounts -I E08055T.pcov.txt -PON combined-normals.tsv -PTN E08055T.ptn.tsv -TN E08055T.tn.tsv

It always gives this error...
    Do you have any idea about this? It is more likely that I did not install HDF5 or HDF5-Java correctly.
    Thanks again!

Jia

@EADG said:
    hm...crossreading over the tutorial i would say something went wrong with the creation of the PON.

--panelOfNormals combined-normals.tsv

The combined-normals.tsv is the file which you need in Step 2 (see the pdf in GoogleDrive) to create your PON.

java -jar gatk4.jar CreatePanelOfNormals \

-I sandbox/combined-normals.tsv \

-O sandbox/normals.pon \

-noQC \

--disableSpark \

--minimumTargetFactorPercentileThreshold 5

Can you run the CreatePanelOfNormals again and put the result normals.pon into NormalizeSomaticReadCounts instead of combined-normals.tsv .

java -jar gatk4.jar NormalizeSomaticReadCounts \

-I cov/tumor.tsv \

-PON sandbox/normals.pon \

-PTN sandbox/tumor.ptn.tsv \

-TN sandbox/tumor.tn.tsv

By the way E08055T.pcov.txt should have the suffix tsv :)

Hope this helps.

Exactly! I missed one step before computing normalized read counts. Thank you very much for the help!
    But now I have another problem while plotting the results. I can get all the output files from Step 3,4 and 6 except the genome plots. All the read dots are missing in resulting PNG files. I can only see the axes and labels.

I don't know if you can help.

Thanks again!

Jia
    imageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimage

• EADGEADG KielMember ✭✭✭

hm can you check if all your outputfiles from the different steps have data in it? (open with nano/vim and check if more then the header is present)...or something went wrong with the installation of the r-packages (Rscript install_R_packages.R)... if this dont help, can you open a new thread ? Maybe other people can help...

@EADG said:
    hm can you check if all your outputfiles from the different steps have data in it? (open with nano/vim and check if more then the header is present)...or something went wrong with the installation of the r-packages (Rscript install_R_packages.R)... if this dont help, can you open a new thread ? Maybe other people can help...

I check the outputs files. They all look fine. If it is someting with the R packages, I did not see any error message during this step.
    Thank you very much anyway. I will post a new question to others.

Cheers,
    Jia

• shleeshlee CambridgeMember, Broadie, Moderator admin

Hi @xuejia,

Please see if your issue is the same as that described here.