To celebrate the release of GATK 4.0, we are giving away free credits for running the GATK4 Best Practices pipelines in FireCloud, our secure online analysis portal. It’s first come first serve, so sign up now to claim your free credits worth $250. Sponsored by Google Cloud. Learn more at https://software.broadinstitute.org/firecloud/documentation/freecredits

Remove duplicate reads from ChIP-seq data

In general, the reads un-mapped to reference, multiple-alignment, and duplicated, should be removed after mapping to reference in ChIP-seq pipeline.

The source of PCR duplicated includes "library/PCR-generated duplicates (LB)" and "sequencing-platform artifact duplicates (SQ)". Of course, SQ must be removed in ChIP-seq analysis. However, the truely biological signal of duplicated reads may be contained in LB. Therefore, if I want to remove duplicated reads, what type of duplicated reads should I remove? Both SQ and LB or SQ only ? (My ChIP-seq data is single end (read length=36bp).)

If I use "REMOVE_DUPLICATES=true", are the reads of SQ and LB removed?

Is the below parameter right if I want to remove SQ only?
TAGGING_POLICY=OpticalOnly, REMOVE_DUPLICATES=true

Thank you.

Tagged:

Answers

• Geraldine_VdAuweraGeraldine_VdAuwera Cambridge, MAMember, Administrator, Broadie

In general I would recommend removing all duplicate reads. However we do not have any experience with ChIP-seq so we cannot advise you on this point. If you want to remove SQ dupes only then yes, those are the correct parameters.