To celebrate the release of GATK 4.0, we are giving away free credits for running the GATK4 Best Practices pipelines in FireCloud, our secure online analysis portal. It’s first come first serve, so sign up now to claim your free credits worth $250. Sponsored by Google Cloud. Learn more at https://software.broadinstitute.org/firecloud/documentation/freecredits

MuTect2 all potential somatic mutations did not pass the alt_allele_in_normal filter

Hello,

I am trying to use MuTect2 to call low-frequency (0.1-5%) mutations in yeast population but none of them passed the alt_allele_in_normal filter, meaning the allele is presented in control ("normal") sample. However, it is not look reasonable as soon as I used control to create Panel of Normals and my samples successfully passed the panel_of_normals filter. In addition, when I visualized the reads through the IGV, I did not see any alternative alleles in control at these positions.

Briefly, my experiment design: I poolled 1000 yeast colonies (after certain mutagenic conditions), extracted DNA and amplified a gene of interest through the PCR. Then I purified the amplicons and sequenced with MiSeq Illumina platform, paired-end. The final coverage is between 10 000 - 30 000 (10-30 per genome). I preproceced the data by GATK best practices and I created PON trough the artifact detection mode based on the same protocol with wild type strain. At least one mutation is expected per colony.

Finally, I ran Mutect2 with following parameters:

GenomeAnalysisTK -T MuTect2 -R path_to_reference/reference.fa -I:tumor path_to_file/realigned_Sample1.bam -I:normal path_to_file/realigned_control.bam -L I:X1-X2 --sample_ploidy 1000 -PON output.control.vcf -o output_control_vs_sample1.vcf

Could you help me to fix this problem?
Thank you!

Best Answer

Answers