GATK4 Plot segmented coverage

Hello
I am using GATK4 for detecting CNV in 143 genes. Everything works great except for the plots, i found no errors in the command line but i dont know why all the plots appear empty. i checked all the .tn and .ptn files and they seem fine. I am using CENTOS and installed all de R dependencies needed for this step. Can someone help me? Or does somebody had the same issue?

Thank you!

Tagged:

Best Answer

Answers

• sleeslee Member, Broadie, Dev ✭✭✭

Hi @RosieQuezada,

The CNV/ACNV plotting tools are only compatible with GRCh37/hg19 (although the latter may require manually removing "chr" from contig names). Can you confirm whether or not this is the issue?

• RosieQuezadaRosieQuezada MexicoMember

I am currently using the GRCh37/hg19. Not the issue.
    Thank you.

Hi @shlee it is the same issue, i removed the chr from my data (only in the.ptn and .tn files) but still got the empty graphs. The analysis had no errors. What should i do? Is there any other way i can plot this results with the same files generated by this analysis?
    Thank you

Issue · Github
    by Sheila

Issue Number
    State
    closed
    Last Updated
    Assignee
    Array
    Milestone
    Array
    Closed By
    sooheelee

@shlee i forgot, i also removed the chr from the seg file

• shleeshlee CambridgeMember, Broadie, Moderator admin
    edited January 2017

Hi @RosieQuezada,

I'm sorry you are experiencing this issue. I hear that our developers are making the plotting tool compatible with references other than b37.

In the meanwhile, do you see the numbers below the empty plots on the x-axis? This is the order the data must be in for each of the three input files. In addition, you need to remove any data from contigs that are not represented by the x-axis, e.g. mitochondria, sex chromosomes, patches etc.

I can only think of UNIX commands to help with this, e.g.

cat filename.txt | sort -n > sortedfile.txt

and you'll have to account for the header in the file if there is one.

Remember that this plotting step is optional and you will still get CNV calls with the CallSegments step. I think I make some recommendations to amjad about plotting using RStudio or making heatmaps with IGV. I can only explain further the latter option if you are interested.

I hope this is helpful.

Thank you so much @shlee i ask amjad the way he resolved the issue and he was kind enough to give me the complete R script for that. So now i do have something in my plot! but i did those changes from the begining, i think i did something wrong now, because all i can see is Chr 1 in the plot. Cheked the rest of the data in the .ptn files and is not there only chr1, but in the coverage file the data is complete, at least i can see data from chr 22. Any ideas?

Really appreciate your help.
    Thank you

@RosieQuezada,

I'm glad to hear our community helps each other.

For this plotting of only chromosome 1 data, am I understanding correctly that the data represented in each of the files has different genomic coverage? That doesn't sound right.

HI @shlee I am glad to tell you that i finally did it. i did the sorting and the removal of the chr in the .ptn, .tn and seg files.
    Thank you so much for your help. Although im also interested in the heat map and the r studio options, what package would you recommend? And can i use the same output of this analysis?

Thank you

Hi @RosieQuezada,

You can display heatmaps in IGV. You will have to change IGV's coloring scheme to center around the value that is neutral. I'm not familiar with R packages, so I've asked our developers what they would recommend. I hope they get back to you soon.

Hi @RosieQuezada,

Heard from the developers. Check out the R scripts in https://github.com/broadinstitute/gatk-protected/tree/master/src/main/resources/org/broadinstitute/hellbender/utils/plotter. You can freely take these and augment them to suit your analysis needs. I hope they are helpful!