Forum Login Issue:
Currently the "Log in with Google" button redirects you to a "Page not found." This is an issue that our forum vendors are working on fixing. In the meantime, while on the "Page not found" you can edit the URL to delete the second gatk, firecloud, or wdl (depending on what subforum you are acessing).
ex: https://gatkforums.broadinstitute.org/gatk/gatk/entry/...

SelectVariants Large VCF slow runtime

I am attempting to subset and filter a large (10k exome sample, 250GB) VCF file using SelectVariants. My goal is to subset by individual samples (iterating over each sample using a custom script and passing an individual SelectVariants command for each), selecting only heterozygous alleles, with an alt allele depth > 5, GQ > 30, and for SNPs that pass the filter. My issue is very slow runtime, which seems like it shouldn't be a problem when I only want calls from a single sample. I feel it may be an issue with how I have set up my SelectVariants command (shown below), or it may be an issue with SelectVariants and large VCFs.

Here is the command I am using:

java -jar GATK.3.7.jar -T SelectVariants -R ref.fa -V very.large.vcf.gz -o single.sample.filtered.vcf.gz -sn sample.name -selectType SNP -select 'vc.getGenotype("sample.name").isHet()' -select 'vc.getGenotype("sample.name").getAD().1 > 5' -select 'vc.getGenotype("sample.name").getGQ() > 30' -select 'vc.isNotFiltered()'

Comments

• matthewzatzmanmatthewzatzman SickKidsMember

I have solved this by multithreading '-nt 16', which has significantly reduced expected runtimes.

• SheilaSheila Broad InstituteMember, Broadie, Moderator

@matthewzatzman
    Hi,

You may also be interested in WDL. Users have reported issues with multi-threading, and WDL is much more stable.

-Sheila

• jrissejrisse WageningenMember

Hi,

I have a similar problem. I'm trying to filter a large vcf file (23Gb unzipped) to select high quality SNPs. The reference is a draft assembly with a lot of smallish contigs and the genome size is 2.1Gb. The vcf contains around 260 samples. The vcf file has been generated with samtools/bcftools and should contain all relevant fields. I tried multi-threading and increasing memory. I also disabled the downsampling of reads. The command has been running for > 6days now, and progress is 0% according to stdout. The output file only contains the vcf header, nothing else. I've used SelectVariants before, but don't recall anything taking this long. Any suggestions? The command is:

java -Xmx124g -jar GenomeAnalysisTK.jar -nt 10 -T SelectVariants -R reference.fa --variant samtools_snps.vcf -dt NONE -env --selectTypeToInclude SNP -select "DP >= 150 && QUAL >= 50" -o samtools_snps_filtered_DP20_Q50.vcf

Regards
    Judith

• SheilaSheila Broad InstituteMember, Broadie, Moderator

@jrisse
    Hi Judith,

How many contigs are in your reference? This thread will help too.

-Sheila

• tytolintytolin Member

@Sheila
    Hello, Sheila

How can I reduce the time on running GATK SV more effectively?

I also encounter the same problem that GATK spend too much time on SV for searching concordance.
    I have a vcf file with 429275 variants from samtools, and a vcf containing 5843388 variants from GATK UG. It spends my server twenty days to run the command

-T SelectVariants -nt 8 -R reference.fa -V samtools.vcf --concordance gatk.vcf -o re_concordance.vcf

And it just finish the first scaffold that I've seen from nohup.out
    scaffold122_len806_cov30:332 23.0 8.2 d 15250.3 w 0.0% 15250.3 w 15249.1 w
    scaffold122_len806_cov30:332 23.0 16.5 d 15250.3 w 0.0% 15250.3 w 15247.9 w
    It spend 8.3 days to run a scaffold with 806 bp long.