Test-drive the GATK tools and Best Practices pipelines on Terra

Check out this blog post to learn how you can get started with GATK and try out the pipelines in preconfigured workspaces (with a user-friendly interface!) without having to install anything.

Panel of Normal and Match-Normal relation

Hello GATK team ! (again)

I am now doing my pipeline again with more samples, coming from the GDC data portal. So this time I will have a matched-normal for every samples. I am also considering to build a panel of normals.

My question is : Is there any bias that could arise from the fact that the match-normal used for variant calling is also present in the PoN ? It would be of course much more convenient to build only once the PoN and use the same for every variant call...

Another question : how is the filtering step with the PoN achieved ? Are every variants in the PoN filtered out ? (so, by default, present in at least 2 samples used to make the PoN) I mean, is it just a hard-filter or is there any statistical approach behind ?

Thank you very much in advance ! Regards,

Alexandre Coudray

Issue · Github
by Sheila

Issue Number
State
closed
Last Updated
Assignee
Array
Milestone
Array
Closed By
vdauwera

Best Answer

Answers

• SheilaSheila Broad InstituteMember, Broadie, Moderator admin

@ac67479
    Hi Alexandre,

I am just confirming with the team. I will get back to you soon.

-Sheila

• ac67479ac67479 AustinMember
  • ac67479ac67479 AustinMember

Just to summarize (maybe it was not very clear) :

I have 10 Glioblastoma samples with 10 matched-normal. It would be very convenient to use these 10 matched-normal to build the PoN ! (instead of building 10 different PoN or to get other data for the PoN) I can also imagine that with more data it would be even more convenient. But I assume there would be a little bias because the matched-normal is in the PoN, etc.. Maybe there is parameters that could be adjusted in the Variant calling or while generating the PoN ?

Thank you very much !

Alex

• shleeshlee CambridgeMember, Broadie ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2016

Hi @ac67479,

Please check out the thread at http://gatkforums.broadinstitute.org/gatk/discussion/8302. The discussion is about a Mutect PON and has some tidbits of information and links that are relevant to your question.