To celebrate the release of GATK 4.0, we are giving away free credits for running the GATK4 Best Practices pipelines in FireCloud, our secure online analysis portal. It’s first come first serve, so sign up now to claim your free credits worth $250. Sponsored by Google Cloud. Learn more at https://software.broadinstitute.org/firecloud/documentation/freecredits

GenotypeGVCFs multithread not working properly

Hi GATK team,
I ran the haplotypcaller on a single mapped bam file. Command:

java -jar GenomeAnalysisTK.jar -T HaplotypeCaller -R Homo_sapiens_assembly38.fasta -I MyMappedSample.bam --emitRefConfidence GVCF --variant_index_type LINEAR --variant_index_parameter 128000 -o MyMappedSample.g.vcf -L hg38.exome.regions.bed

From this output, I am running the GenotypeGVCFs. Command:

java -jar GenomeAnalysisTK.jar -T GenotypeGVCFs -R Homo_sapiens_assembly38.fasta --variant MyMappedSample.g.vcf -o MyMappedSample.geontyped.vcf -nt 32 -L hg38.exome.regions.bed

The issue that I am is that when running the GenotypeGVCFs, even though I have the "-nt" flag, it is not using multiple threads, and only running with a single thread. I am only running this on a single sample. I am using version 3.5 (we have not yet updated our system to a java 8). Is this an issue with version 3.5, and I should maybe try an earlier version?

Issue · Github
by Sheila

Issue Number
State
closed
Last Updated
Assignee
Array
Milestone
Array
Closed By
vdauwera

Answers

• Geraldine_VdAuweraGeraldine_VdAuwera Cambridge, MAMember, Administrator, Broadie

This is unlikely to be a GATK problem; it's more likely that your system does not support multithreading or does not have access to multiple cores. Multithreading does work automatically on all systems.

• Thank you for your response. Our system does support multithreading. It seems that it is just this 1 module of GATK that doesn't work with the multithreading. Everything else that can use a multithread does work (including other non-GATK applications). Oddly, when I add the "-nt" flag it tells me that it will take ~5hrs to finish, but without this flag it will finish it ~5 min...Not sure what it going on here.

• SheilaSheila Broad InstituteMember, Broadie, Moderator

@elondin
    Hi,

Have a look at Geraldine's response in this thread from February 25th.

-Sheila