Notice:
If you happen to see a question you know the answer to, please do chime in and help your fellow community members. We encourage our fourm members to be more involved, jump in and help out your fellow researchers with their questions. GATK forum is a community forum and helping each other with using GATK tools and research is the cornerstone of our success as a genomics research community.We appreciate your help!

Test-drive the GATK tools and Best Practices pipelines on Terra

Check out this blog post to learn how you can get started with GATK and try out the pipelines in preconfigured workspaces (with a user-friendly interface!) without having to install anything.

tumor normal pair

Dear GATK team,
I am a little bit confused about the Tumor Normal pair branch of GATK using haplotypecaller. We are recommended to re-align tumor sample and its normal control at the same time. As a result, a single re-aligned bam file will be created. But in the haplotypecaller step, it seems haplotypecaller prefers to input tumor and normal samples separately using independent -I. I just want to know the suggestion from GATK regarding the best approach to handle Tumor Normal pair analyses using haploypecaller. Shall I input co-realigned and recaliberated tumor normal bam with one -I? Does GATK perform somatic mutation filtering through tumor normal approach, or it is better if we do it by ourselves?
Thank you very much again!

Answers

• Geraldine_VdAuweraGeraldine_VdAuwera Cambridge, MAMember, Administrator, Broadie admin

Hi there, you should NOT be using HaplotypeCaller for somatic calling. This tool is only intended for germline calling, and uses modeling algorithms that are completely inappropriate for somatic mutation calling. You should use MuTect or MuTect2 instead.