Notice:
If you happen to see a question you know the answer to, please do chime in and help your fellow community members. We encourage our fourm members to be more involved, jump in and help out your fellow researchers with their questions. GATK forum is a community forum and helping each other with using GATK tools and research is the cornerstone of our success as a genomics research community.We appreciate your help!

Test-drive the GATK tools and Best Practices pipelines on Terra

Check out this blog post to learn how you can get started with GATK and try out the pipelines in preconfigured workspaces (with a user-friendly interface!) without having to install anything.

Is it too early to be publishing data analysed by MuTect2?

djmarshdjmarsh Sydney, AustraliaMember

Is it too early to be publishing data analysed by MuTect2 in a comparative sense with Haplotype Caller? Is it still strictly in testing phase?

Tagged:

Best Answers

• Geraldine_VdAuweraGeraldine_VdAuwera Cambridge, MA admin
    Accepted Answer
    Oh I see. No, HaplotypeCaller is completely unsuitable for somatice variant discovery; among other things the genotyping model is simply not appropriate as it makes ploidy assumptions that are not satisfied in a somatic context. You're more than welcome to publish a comparison making this point explicitly, as it would be a public service to demonstrate to others that using HC for somatic analysis does not work well and is not recommended.

Answers

• djmarshdjmarsh Sydney, AustraliaMember

Thank you for your response. In a "comparative" sense meaning that we have a dataset from a tumor cohort (so somatic mutations) that was analysed with Haplotype Caller. MuTect2 analyses now showing a lot more very low frequency variants in our GOI not found with Haplotype Caller (I realise more suitable for germline, but I think many have used for somatic too?). We haven't tried just MuTect. Your thoughts on this are appreciated.

• Geraldine_VdAuweraGeraldine_VdAuwera Cambridge, MAMember, Administrator, Broadie admin
    Accepted Answer
    Oh I see. No, HaplotypeCaller is completely unsuitable for somatice variant discovery; among other things the genotyping model is simply not appropriate as it makes ploidy assumptions that are not satisfied in a somatic context. You're more than welcome to publish a comparison making this point explicitly, as it would be a public service to demonstrate to others that using HC for somatic analysis does not work well and is not recommended.
  • djmarshdjmarsh Sydney, AustraliaMember

Thank you - very helpful.