To celebrate the release of GATK 4.0, we are giving away free credits for running the GATK4 Best Practices pipelines in FireCloud, our secure online analysis portal. It’s first come first serve, so sign up now to claim your free credits worth $250. Sponsored by Google Cloud. Learn more at

Is there a way to remove the "|" from the SQ line in a .bam file?

grtaveragrtavera Case Western Reserve UniversityMember

We have several, unique H. pylori genomes. We have aligned each of them to a reference genome, which had "|"in the fasta (or .fa) file name. Now, when running through GATK, we cannot create our final .vcf file. Do we have to remove the "|" from the .fa file and rerun everything from the beginning, or is there another approach?

• valentinvalentin Cambridge, MAMember, Dev

Could you post the exception you are getting and extract of the header that is causing the issue? It sounds like a bug... or perhaps an obscure violation of the SAM format but I guess is the former.

It seems that a similar issue has been reported here. There you will find a workaround that you be able to adapt to your situation.

Also could you confirm what version of GATK you are using?

It seems that the that I posted above actually does not work, here is the workaround:

It seems that something similar has been reported here.

That might be a bug in GATK, so thanks for reporting. I guess the work around with samtools would be:

samtools view -h input.bam | sed 's/SN:gi\|[0-9]*\|gb\|\(.*\)\|/SN:\1/' | samtools view -b - > output.bam

You may need to add more 'sed' commands if there is SNs that follow a different regular expression. You can check on whether the
    'sed' is doing the right think like so:

samtools view -H input.bam | sed 's/SN:gi\|[0-9]*\|gb\|\(.*\)\|/SN:\1/'

• SheilaSheila Broad InstituteMember, Broadie, Moderator

Please do have a look at the threads Valentin pointed to above. Also, why do you say you cannot create the final VCF? Are you getting an error message? If so, please post it.