Notice:
If you happen to see a question you know the answer to, please do chime in and help your fellow community members. We encourage our fourm members to be more involved, jump in and help out your fellow researchers with their questions. GATK forum is a community forum and helping each other with using GATK tools and research is the cornerstone of our success as a genomics research community.We appreciate your help!

Test-drive the GATK tools and Best Practices pipelines on Terra

Check out this blog post to learn how you can get started with GATK and try out the pipelines in preconfigured workspaces (with a user-friendly interface!) without having to install anything.
Attention:
We will be out of the office on November 11th and 13th 2019, due to the U.S. holiday(Veteran's day) and due to a team event(Nov 13th). We will return to monitoring the GATK forum on November 12th and 14th respectively. Thank you for your patience.

GATK command for adding known vcf file for SNP's so as to filter it out

Hi,
I want to add a known vcf file of snps maybe from one of the databases of snp and want to remove those snp's if they also occur in my sample. How can I do this in GATK.

Also I am interested in A-->G mutations, but on the reverse strand this would be a T-->C mutation which I would like to capture of course. How can I get to know the strand specificity.

Hope to hear soon.

Regards
Varun

Tagged:

Best Answer

Answers

• SheilaSheila Broad InstituteMember, Broadie admin

@gupta567varun
    Hi Varun,

To add a known SNPs file, you can use VariantAnnotator. To remove the sites that occur both in your VCF and the known SNPs VCF, you can use SelectVariants.

Can you please clarify what exactly you mean by your last question? What do you mean "How can I get to know the strand specificity"?

Thanks,
    Sheila

• gupta567varungupta567varun NYMember

Hi Sheila,
    In the VCF file, ref and the alt base are with respect to forward strand right? So if A-->G change occurs from ref to alt on the plus strand but A-->G would be a T-->C change on the reverse but it will be written as T-->C in the vcf file. How can i extract that. Am i still not clear?

Thanks

Varun

Issue · Github
    by Sheila

Issue Number
    State
    closed
    Last Updated
    Assignee
    Array
    Milestone
    Array