Notice:
If you happen to see a question you know the answer to, please do chime in and help your fellow community members. We appreciate your help!

Test-drive the GATK tools and Best Practices pipelines on Terra

Check out this blog post to learn how you can get started with GATK and try out the pipelines in preconfigured workspaces (with a user-friendly interface!) without having to install anything.

Mutect2 - Ploidy setting also for normals?

AkGoepfertAkGoepfert BelgienMember

Dear

I have a question regarding the ploidy setting of the mutect2.

I have two whole-exome sequencing datasets of a tumor sample – both treated under different conditions. The goal is to find genetic differences (SNVs and indels) between those two samples. One is being called the "normal" and the other the so-called "tumor" sample.

Because I am using the same tumor sample, both (tumor and normal) have a ploidy of 4.

The question is, if the ploidy setting is only taking account for the tumor sample? And if so, if there is a setting which also changes the ploidy setting of the normal sample? Or is the "normal" sample not by default diploid?

How can I deal with this in a proper way?

Thanks a lot for your help!

Answers

• Geraldine_VdAuweraGeraldine_VdAuwera Cambridge, MAMember, Administrator, Broadie admin

Hi @AkGoepfert,

You don't need to set ploidy when calling somatic variants -- in fact that setting would be ignored. Somatic variation is modeled differently. I'm not entirely sure what is the right way to deal with your situation -- I think it would be preferable to compare both tumor samples independently to a real normal sample.