The current GATK version is 3.8-0
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Get notifications!

You can opt in to receive email notifications, for example when your questions get answered or when there are new announcements, by following the instructions given here.

Got a problem?

1. Search using the upper-right search box, e.g. using the error message.
2. Try the latest version of tools.
3. Include tool and Java versions.
4. Tell us whether you are following GATK Best Practices.
5. Include relevant details, e.g. platform, DNA- or RNA-Seq, WES (+capture kit) or WGS (PCR-free or PCR+), paired- or single-end, read length, expected average coverage, somatic data, etc.
6. For tool errors, include the error stacktrace as well as the exact command.
7. For format issues, include the result of running ValidateSamFile for BAMs or ValidateVariants for VCFs.
8. For weird results, include an illustrative example, e.g. attach IGV screenshots according to Article#5484.
9. For a seeming variant that is uncalled, include results of following Article#1235.

Did we ask for a bug report?

Then follow instructions in Article#1894.

Formatting tip!

Wrap blocks of code, error messages and BAM/VCF snippets--especially content with hashes (#)--with lines with three backticks ( ``` ) each to make a code block as demonstrated here.

Jump to another community
Download the latest Picard release at https://github.com/broadinstitute/picard/releases.
GATK version 4.beta.3 (i.e. the third beta release) is out. See the GATK4 beta page for download and details.

extractIlluminaBarcodes

dreadrea CanadaMember

I'm attempting to extract barcodes from a set of illumina miseq paired-end sequences. I have a couple of questions about the extractIlluminaBarcodes tool. I've been using this post (http://seqanswers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19538) as a guide, but have run into a bit of a roadblock.

1) Is the metrics_file, listed as required by the function, input by me, if so what is included in this file, and is there a sample with the appropriate format that I could use as a guide?
2) I'm unclear on the read structure string. The post included above describes a similar experimental setup to what I have, however I'm not sure how this leads to 151T8B151T as listed. I have both forward and reverse barcodes for my sequences, so would it not make more sense to have something like 8B151T151T8B?
3) The post also recommends use of an N barcode in the barcode_file. How does one include this, if indeed this is required?

As I am currently running this command,
java -jar ~/Desktop/software/picard-tools-1.119/ExtractIlluminaBarcodes.jar BASECALLS_DIR=Data/Intensities/BaseCalls LANE=1 BARCODE_FILE=barcode.txt READ_STRUCTURE=151T8B151T METRICS_FILE=metrics NUM_PROCESSORS=4

barcode.txt file is as below:
barcode_sequence_1 barcode_sequence_2 barcode_sequence_3 barcode_sequence_4 barcode_sequence_5 barcode_sequence_6barcode_sequence_7 barcode_sequence_8 barcode_sequence_9 barcode_sequence_10 barcode_sequence_11 barcode_sequence_12barcode_sequence_13 barcode_sequence_14 barcode_sequence_15 barcode_sequence_16 barcode_sequence_17
TACGCTGC ATGCGCAG TAGCGCTC ACTGAGCG CCTAAGAC CGATCAGT TCCTGAGC ATCTCAGG ACTGCATA AAGGAGTA CTAAGCCT CGTCTAAT TCTCTCCG CTCTCTAT TATCCTCT GTAAGGAG

The error I'm getting is:
Exception in thread "main" picard.PicardException: Could not find a format with available files for the following data types: BaseCalls, PF
at picard.illumina.parser.IlluminaDataProviderFactory.(IlluminaDataProviderFactory.java:172)
at picard.illumina.parser.IlluminaDataProviderFactory.(IlluminaDataProviderFactory.java:127)
at picard.illumina.ExtractIlluminaBarcodes.customCommandLineValidation(ExtractIlluminaBarcodes.java:332)
at picard.cmdline.CommandLineProgram.parseArgs(CommandLineProgram.java:242)
at picard.cmdline.CommandLineProgram.instanceMain(CommandLineProgram.java:128)
at picard.illumina.ExtractIlluminaBarcodes.main(ExtractIlluminaBarcodes.java:357)

java version 1.8.0_91