To celebrate the release of GATK 4.0, we are giving away free credits for running the GATK4 Best Practices pipelines in FireCloud, our secure online analysis portal. It’s first come first serve, so sign up now to claim your free credits worth $250. Sponsored by Google Cloud. Learn more at

GTAK DepthOfCoverage binning window

Hi there,

I want to run GTAK tool DepthOfCoverage with a window like every 10000 bases for WGS data, how should I set up the parameter?
Can I use --nBins? does it mean nBins= whole genome size / 10000?

Can I run this tool per chromosome to speed up?

• SheilaSheila Broad InstituteMember, Broadie, Moderator

Hi Weini,

Are you asking about running DepthOfCoverage on intervals of size 10,000 bases? Like, you want to run on intervals 1-10,000, 10,001-11,000, 11,001-12,000...

If so, you will need to create an interval list and use --intervals to pass in the list. The --nBins you refer to is not appropriate in your case.

Yes, you can run the tool per-chromosome to speed things up.

• zacharycabinzacharycabin Member
    edited March 7

This isn't working for me? I am trying to do (what sounds like) the same thing -- get coverage across windows. I have the interval list set up correctly (I believe) but the output is just giving average coverage across the entire chromosome. Is there some code or something I am missing?

I have run the exact same code with a different interval list (only 5 ~5kb regions as opposed to windows across a chromosome) formatted the exact same way and the output was what i wanted (coverage at each region independently).

java -jar GenomeAnalysisTK.jar -T DepthOfCoverage -R $REFFASTA \
    -I sample.rg.sorted.bam -ct 3 -ct 2 -ct 1 \
    --countType COUNT_FRAGMENTS \
    --intervals $genotype/window.intervals \
    -o sample.window.table

here is the first few lines of my interval list;
    Chr_01:800001-900000 the end of the chr.

Post edited by zacharycabin on
  • SheilaSheila Broad InstituteMember, Broadie, Moderator

Hmm. I wonder if the tool is merging the intervals into one, since they are abutting each other. Can you try running on Chr_01:1-100000 and Chr_01:100002-200000 to test this out? If this is the issue, you can use --interval_merging OVERLAPPING_ONLY.

P.S. There is a feature request for this in GATK4 as well.