Coverage file from MuTect2?

justin_lackjustin_lack NIH-BethesdaMember

Hi,

Is there any way to get the coverage file from MuTect2? I am working on mutation rates, and I would really like to know how many sites for each tumor/normal pair are getting examined. Thanks!

Justin

Answers

• shleeshlee CambridgeMember, Broadie ✭✭✭✭✭

Hi Justin (@justin_lack),

I believe you are asking for the intervals that the tool considers for graph assembly. Is this correct? If so, we call these regions ActiveRegions and have an optional --activeRegionOut or -ARO argument that will write out active and inactive regions to a file. The tool documentation provides more detail on the format of this file.

I hope this is helpful.

Soo Hee

• justin_lackjustin_lack NIH-BethesdaMember

Yes, but more specifically, within these active regions, I want to know which positions are passing Mutect2 filters and are sufficiently covered to allow for comparison between the tumor and normal files. When I ran it with the --activeRegionOut flag, it appeared to just spit out the bed intervals I supplied with the -L option (these are the exome capture targets). So I am wondering if the --activeRegionOut flag is just telling me which sites are to be considered, or which sites are considered and ALSO are sufficiently covered for comparison between the two samples. Thanks!

• Geraldine_VdAuweraGeraldine_VdAuwera Cambridge, MAMember, Administrator, Broadie admin

If you're looking for something directly analogous to the WIGGLE file that was produced by the original MuTect, that is no longer available in MuTect2.

The ARO file specifies, within the targets that you provided, which regions were considered "active" (worth processing) and which were considered uninteresting (because all the reads were reference.

If you want to evaluate what regions were considered "callable" (ie had data that was good enough to use for calling) you could try running DiagnoseTargets.

• justin_lackjustin_lack NIH-BethesdaMember

Thanks for your help. Not sure if it's an option, but it would really be nice to have something analogous the WIGGLE file that the previous version produced. I would think that this would be of use to most MuTect2 users. Thanks again for your help!

• tangwei1129tangwei1129 nihMember

for the downstream analysis with MutSig, it needs the wiggle file from mutect to process, is there a way to get around by using Mutect2 ?
    Thank you,

Issue · Github
    by Sheila

Issue Number
    State
    closed
    Last Updated
    Assignee
    Array
    Milestone
    Array
    Closed By
    chandrans
  • SheilaSheila Broad InstituteMember, Broadie, Moderator admin

@tangwei1129
    Hi,

Unfortunately, we cannot help you here. MuTect2 does not output an equivalent file to the Wiggle file from MuTect1.

-Sheila