To celebrate the release of GATK 4.0, we are giving away free credits for running the GATK4 Best Practices pipelines in FireCloud, our secure online analysis portal. It’s first come first serve, so sign up now to claim your free credits worth $250. Sponsored by Google Cloud. Learn more at https://software.broadinstitute.org/firecloud/documentation/freecredits

How to run GATK directly on SRA files

Hello , I recently saw a webinar by NCBI "Advanced Workshop on SRA and dbGaP Data Analysis" (ftp://ftp.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pub/education/public_webinars/2016/03Mar23_Advanced_Workshop/). They mentioned that they were able to run GATK directly on SRA files.

I downloaded GenomeAnalysisTK-3.5 jar file to my computer. I tried both these commands:

java -jar /path/GenomeAnalysisTK-3.5/GenomeAnalysisTK.jar -T HaplotypeCaller -R SRRFileName -I SRRFileName -stand_call_conf 30 -stand_emit_conf 10 -o SRRFileName.vcf

java -jar /path/GenomeAnalysisTK-3.5/GenomeAnalysisTK.jar -T SRRFileName -R SRR1718738 -I SRRFileName -stand_call_conf 30 -stand_emit_conf 10 -o SRRFileName.vcf

For both these commands, I got this error:
ERROR MESSAGE: Invalid command line: The GATK reads argument (-I, --input_file) supports only BAM/CRAM files with the .bam/.cram extension and lists of BAM/CRAM files with the .list extension, but the file SRR1718738 has neither extension. Please ensure that your BAM/CRAM file or list of BAM/CRAM files is in the correct format, update the extension, and try again.

I don't see any documentation here about this, so wanted to check with you or anyone else has had any experience with this.

Thanks
K

Best Answers

Answers

• Thank you for the prompt response.

• Ben_BusbyBen_Busby NCBIMember

Right now it works well if you launch the 'vdb' AMI in AWS.

• Hello, I'd like to check if SRA support was added to GATK 3.6 or not.

@Ben_Busby : We are trying to do this on our local machine , not on the cloud, so cannot use your AMI. Thanks.