Attention:
The frontline support team will be slow on the forum because we are occupied with the GATK Workshop on March 21st and 22nd 2019. We will be back and more available to answer questions on the forum on March 25th 2019.

Using dbSNPs for mapping

kellermackellermac Baton Rouge, LouisianaMember

Hi. So I want to take a dbSNP file and highlight SNPs that are found in some BAM files. Instead of filtering these I want to search for these SNPs only. I will then use these SNP positions as markers to trace recombination events that have occured between some strains I am studying. So far I havn't found a good strategy to accomplish this. I was hoping someone over here knows how to parse the dbSNP, and could guide me through it. Alternatively you could use this idea to generate a new tool! Please let me know if you have thoughts, or questions. Thanks! -Keller

Tagged:

Answers

• Geraldine_VdAuweraGeraldine_VdAuwera Cambridge, MAMember, Administrator, Broadie admin

Hi Keller, I'm not sure I understand exactly what you want to do, but in general it sounds like something that should be possible with GATK. For example if you have a VCF file containing variants of interest, and you just want to select those that are present in dbSNP, that is very easy using the GATK tool SelectVariants.

Can you please clarify what data you have available and exactly what you would like to produce?