To celebrate the release of GATK 4.0, we are giving away free credits for running the GATK4 Best Practices pipelines in FireCloud, our secure online analysis portal. It’s first come first serve, so sign up now to claim your free credits worth $250. Sponsored by Google Cloud. Learn more at https://software.broadinstitute.org/firecloud/documentation/freecredits

MuTect is Picking up Germline Mutations that are in dbSNP

Haiying7Haiying7 Heidelberg, GermanyMember

I ran MuTect to identify somatic mutations from paired samples of normal (blood) and tumor.
Some of the somatic mutations that the software identified are in dbSNP as germline mutations.
The command line for running MuTect is:

/usr/bin/java -Xmx4g -Djava.io.tmpdir=tmp -jar ${MuTect}mutect-1.1.7.jar     \
--input_file:normal ${BQSR_dir}${Blood}.recal.bam --input_file:tumor ${BQSR_dir}${Tumor}.recal.bam    \
--out ${MuTect_dir}${Blood}_${Tumor}_call_stats.out     \
--coverage_file ${MuTect_dir}${Blood}_${Tumor}_coverage.wig.txt    \
--vcf ${MuTect_dir}${Blood}_${Tumor}.vcf  \
--analysis_type MuTect --reference_sequence ${GATK_hg} --cosmic ${COSMIC} --dbsnp ${dbSNP} --intervals ${Intervals}    \
--disable_auto_index_creation_and_locking_when_reading_rods

Could someone please take a look and see if I am missing any thing?

Thanks in advance.

Tagged:

Answers

• Haiying7Haiying7 Heidelberg, GermanyMember

The dbSNP database I am using is downloaded from GATK reference data bundle.
    Would it be possible that the somatic mutations that MuTect identified and that also appearing on dbSNP are just added to dbSNP recently, later than the datbase in GATK bundle?

• SheilaSheila Broad InstituteMember, Broadie, Moderator

@Haiying7
    Hi,

Can you try using MuTect2 and see if those dbSNP mutations are still picked up?

Thanks,
    Sheila