Test-drive the GATK tools and Best Practices pipelines on Terra

Check out this blog post to learn how you can get started with GATK and try out the pipelines in preconfigured workspaces (with a user-friendly interface!) without having to install anything.

Picard MarkDuplicates with UMI

jonathan.barlevjonathan.barlev Israel - INCPMMember
  1. In MarkDuplicates, how is the newly added UMI option specified? The documentation (https://broadinstitute.github.io/picard/command-line-overview.html ) refers to a BARCODE_TAG string option; should this value be the name of the bam tag used for storing the umi (e.g., if the umi tag is of the form bc:Z:ACTG, then this option should be set to "bc")?

2. Is there a standard bam tag name for the UMI barcode (BX?). It is my understanding "BC" (and the corresponding "QT" tag) refers to the sample barcode, is this correct

Best Answer

Answers

• jonathan.barlevjonathan.barlev Israel - INCPMMember

Thanks, what's the standard quality tag corresponding to "BX"?

• yfarjounyfarjoun Broad InstituteDev ✭✭✭
  • yfarjounyfarjoun Broad InstituteDev ✭✭✭

actually, let me fix that first answer RX is the standard tag for un-corrected UMI and BX for "corrected" umi (if you have error correction)

• jonathan.barlevjonathan.barlev Israel - INCPMMember

Am I correct that MarkDuplicates will not omit any read-level duplication rate statistics? E.g., a tag with the number of duplicates each read has.

We use this number for determining when a sequencing error in the UMI barcode may have occurred. It would be great to have a "Number of Duplicates" read tag inserted (e.g., ND:i:7).

Issue · Github
    by Sheila

Issue Number
    State
    closed
    Last Updated
    Assignee
    Array
    Milestone
    Array
    Closed By
    dekling
  • deklingdekling Broad InstituteMember admin

@jonathan.barlev. Thank you for your patience. We will answer your question shortly.

• deklingdekling Broad InstituteMember admin
    edited May 2016

@jonathan.barlev. Thanks for your patience. Your suggestion is a good one. However, there are currently no plans at the moment to add this tag. If it is absolutely essential to your work, you are welcome to write a program to create this tag and submit a pull request. Thank you again and I hope this helps.