Test-drive the GATK tools and Best Practices pipelines on Terra

Check out this blog post to learn how you can get started with GATK and try out the pipelines in preconfigured workspaces (with a user-friendly interface!) without having to install anything.

Gender sensitive

Hi there,

I'm Lynn. I have a question.
Currently, we are doing the annotation and alignment for whole human genome using GATK tools. But we noticed that the chrY is still appeared even the sample is female. When we do the downstream analysis, (eg.:snpeff) the output still shows the chrY in the female subject.

We wonder how can we exclude the chrY and only get the chrX for female samples. Is there any specific command that we need to put in the command line?

Many thanks!

Tagged:

Best Answers

Answers

• AzlinAzlin Member

Hi @Sheila

Thank you for your help. :smiley:

• AzlinAzlin Member

Hi @Sheila,

I put the command like this:

[email protected]:/media/promise/storage/Tools/Softwares/GenomeAnalysisTK-3.4-0$ java -Xmx4g -jar GenomeAnalysisTK.jar -T RealignerTargetCreator --excludeIntervals -XL chrY -R /media/promise/storage/References/Referance/GATK\ Bundle/hg19/ucsc.hg19.fasta -o /media/promise/storage/Postgrad/Deep\ and\ median\ coverage/Deep\ coverage/New\ SM46\ (-XL)/Alignment/SM46.marked.bam.list -o /media/promise/storage/Postgrad/Deep\ and\ median\ coverage/Deep\ coverage/New\ SM46\ (-XL)/Alignment/SM46.marked.bam

but the ERROR that appeared was:

ERROR A USER ERROR has occurred (version 3.4-0-g7e26428):
    ERROR
    ERROR This means that one or more arguments or inputs in your command are incorrect.
    ERROR The error message below tells you what is the problem.
    ERROR
    ERROR If the problem is an invalid argument, please check the online documentation guide
    ERROR (or rerun your command with --help) to view allowable command-line arguments for this tool.
    ERROR
    ERROR Visit our website and forum for extensive documentation and answers to
    ERROR commonly asked questions http://www.broadinstitute.org/gatk
    ERROR
    ERROR Please do NOT post this error to the GATK forum unless you have really tried to fix it yourself.
    ERROR
    ERROR MESSAGE: Argument '--excludeIntervals' requires a value but none was provided
    ERROR Argument '--excludeIntervals' requires a value but none was provided
    ERROR ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

it says that --excludeIntervals requires a value but none was provided.
    I want to exclude only chrY in my sequence.

How can I fix this problem?

Thank you.

• AzlinAzlin Member

Thank you @sheila

You helped a lot.

Really appreciate it :smiley:

• AzlinAzlin Member

@Sheila

Hi there! It's me again.

I have read the gatk guide on gatk websites; https://www.broadinstitute.org/gatk/guide/article?id=4133. I just want to double confirm that I only need to add -XL chrY in the command line for RealignerTargetCreator, and BaseRecalibrator steps only right?

I don't have to include -XL chrY in the command for IndelRealigner and PrintReads steps isn't? Right me if I'm wrong.

Thank you in advance @Sheila :)

• AzlinAzlin Member

Thank you @Sheila :)

Your kindness is highly appreciated! :) :)