To celebrate the release of GATK 4.0, we are giving away free credits for running the GATK4 Best Practices pipelines in FireCloud, our secure online analysis portal. It’s first come first serve, so sign up now to claim your free credits worth $250. Sponsored by Google Cloud. Learn more at https://software.broadinstitute.org/firecloud/documentation/freecredits

Keep "species" info from BAM to VCF

timflutretimflutre Montpellier, FranceMember

Hello,
I am using HaplotypeCaller (GATK v3.5) with an input BAM file which has a header line like this (just a fake example):

@SQ SN:chr1 LN:100000 SP:Arabis thal AS:2 M5:8668a646eada2f4 UR:file:refgenome_Atha_v2.fa

But the output VCF only has a subset of this information:

##contig=<ID=chr1,length=100000>
##reference=file:///home/me/tmp/refgenome_Atha_v2.fa

Is there a way to obtain something like this instead? (i.e. also indicate species, assembly and MD5 sum)

##contig=<ID=chr1,length=100000,assembly=2,md5=8668a646eada2f4,species="Arabis thal">

The information in the BAM file initially comes from a "dict" file generated by Picard CreateSequenceDictionary. So I tried to feed this "dict" file with the VCF file to Picard UpdateVcfSequenceDictionary, but it didn't give me species nor mD5 sum:

##contig=<ID=chr1,length=100000,assembly=2>

Thank you in advance,
Tim

Answers