Test-drive the GATK tools and Best Practices pipelines on Terra

Check out this blog post to learn how you can get started with GATK and try out the pipelines in preconfigured workspaces (with a user-friendly interface!) without having to install anything.

How can I create a GVCF from a FASTA file?

KatieKatie United StatesMember ✭✭

Hi,
I have used the variant calling workflow and am interested in including a few outgroup samples (FASTA). What is the best way to generate gVCF files which indicate variants from my outgroups (FASTA) with respect to my reference genome (FASTA) so that I can then use the GenotypeGVCF tool to jointly genotype my samples and create a final VCF including variants called from my samples as well as my outroups?

Thank you for your help!

Issue · Github
by Sheila

Issue Number
State
open
Last Updated
Assignee
Array
Milestone
Array

Best Answer

Answers

• Geraldine_VdAuweraGeraldine_VdAuwera Cambridge, MAMember, Administrator, Broadie admin

Hi Katie, unfortunately there's no good way to do that directly with GATK. Our tools are designed to process high throughput sequencing data, where you have many short sequences adding up evidence for variation. A Fasta doesn't have the quality information we rely on to make these calls. I expect that other software packages exist that would be more appropriate to your use case.