Holiday Notice:
The Frontline Support team will be offline December 17-18 due to an institute-wide retreat and offline December 22- January 1, while the institute is closed. Thank you for your patience during these next few weeks as we get to all of your questions. Happy Holidays!

Introducing the 2016 GATK support team

Geraldine_VdAuweraGeraldine_VdAuwera Cambridge, MAMember, Administrator, Broadie admin
edited January 2016 in Announcements

As the scope and user base of the GATK have expanded dramatically over the past few years, I've been empowered to put together a team that is dedicated exclusively to support and outreach activities (writing the docs, answering questions in the forum, organizing workshops and so on) for GATK and its close cousins such as Picard Tools. This takes most of the support burden off of the development team, allowing them to focus on improving and extending the GATK tools, while we work closely with them to provide a high level of support to everyone in our user community.

So I'm very pleased to introduce the members of this team as it stands in early 2016 (newest first). As you'll see we have a mix of backgrounds, skills and experiences that allow us to approach GATK from the point of view of users, rather than developers. In the days and weeks to come, as we flex our blogging muscles, each of us will write about our experiences with GATK from that point of view, highlighting pitfalls, solutions and useful tips & tricks. We hope this will be helpful and we look forward to feedback.

Without further ado, I give you the 2016 GATK support team:

Kate
image Kate Noblett studied biochemistry in the bitter, frozen tundra of Minnesota, with intention of going into cancer biology. However, she discovered her love for computer programming could be applied to her interest in biology. She joined the GATK support team in 2015, and continues to hone her skills in the technology half of biotechnology.
Soo Hee
image Soo Hee became interested in genomics after doing her 23andMe. She started writing about bioinformatics tools and data portals in 2014, in the Cancer Program at the Broad Institute and joined the GATK team in 2015. Previously, Soo Hee worked at the bench as a biochemist and earned her Ph.D. from the Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine. Her LinkedIn has details.
David
image HiYa! I have been with the GATK team since July of 2014. I have a M.S. in Plant Genetics and a Ph.D. in Microbial Pathogenesis (both) from University of Massachusetts, Amherst. I did a postdoctoral fellowship and an Instructorship in Developmental Biology at Massachusetts General Hospital (MGH). As a Research Assistant Professor at Boston College, I continued to develop and refine organ culture models of infectious pathogenesis initiated at MGH. Now, I blog and write for GATK.
Sheila
image Hi! My name is Sheila Chandran. I've been working on the Support and Outreach team for almost 2 years. My road here has been interesting; I majored in English in college, but got my Masters in Computational Biology. I tried to become a lawyer, but alas, the universe has a way of correcting things when they are out of whack (I'm much better at math/science than debate :) )
Geraldine
image Geraldine Van der Auwera is the Benevolent Dictator For Life of the GATK community. As such she is in charge of GATK documentation, tech support and keeping user riots down to a minimum. She holds a PhD in Microbial Genomics from the University of Louvain-­la­-Neuve in Belgium. She joined the Broad in 2012 after a 4-year postdoctoral stint at Harvard Medical School, leaving behind the bench and pipette work forever (hopefully).
Post edited by Geraldine_VdAuwera on