To celebrate the release of GATK 4.0, we are giving away free credits for running the GATK4 Best Practices pipelines in FireCloud, our secure online analysis portal. It’s first come first serve, so sign up now to claim your free credits worth $250. Sponsored by Google Cloud. Learn more at https://software.broadinstitute.org/firecloud/documentation/freecredits

Known sites for indel realignment and BQSR in hg38 bundle

SvyatoslavSidorovSvyatoslavSidorov St. Petersburg, RussiaMember

Dear GATK team,

I'd like to learn what files I should use for indel realignment and BQSR from hg38 bundle? (I read the manual on this topic -- https://broadinstitute.org/gatk/guide/article?id=1247 -- but just would like to be sure):

1) Am I right that for indel realignment I should use Mills_and_1000G_gold_standard.indels.hg38.vcf and 1000G_phase1.snps.high_confidence.hg38.vcf.gz ?

2) Am I right that for BQSR I should use Mills_and_1000G_gold_standard.indels.hg38.vcf , 1000G_phase1.snps.high_confidence.hg38.vcf.gz , and dbsnp_144.hg38.vcf ?

3) Are there any other files with known sites I should use for indel realignment and BQSR?

Best Answer

Answers

• SvyatoslavSidorovSvyatoslavSidorov St. Petersburg, RussiaMember

Dear Sheila, thank you for your quick reply!

• NandaNanda CanadaMember

Dear Sheila and Svyatoslav,

I have a doubt here, Svyatoslav is looking for indel realignment. As per his question, he mentioned that to use following vcf files
    1) Mills_and_1000G_gold_standard.indels.hg38.vcf
    2) 1000G_phase1.snps.high_confidence.hg38.vcf

But the 2nd file is not for indels. It looks like it has 1000G_phase1 high confidence SNPS. Am I missing some thing here?

Thanks in advance.

• SheilaSheila Broad InstituteMember, Broadie, Moderator

@Nanda
    Hi,

I think there is some confusion with the naming, and we also need to update the article to refer to hg38 resources. The 1000G_phase1.snps.high_confidence.hg38.vcf will also contain some indels that are useful for Indel Realignment.

Please also note, it is no longer necessary to run Indel Realignment step. Have a look at this blog post.

-Sheila