To celebrate the release of GATK 4.0, we are giving away free credits for running the GATK4 Best Practices pipelines in FireCloud, our secure online analysis portal. It’s first come first serve, so sign up now to claim your free credits worth $250. Sponsored by Google Cloud. Learn more at

Input files to GatherBqsrReports

awengerawenger Stanford UniversityMember

The usage for the GatherBqsrReports tool implies that it accepts a list of files as input (i.e. a .list file). In practice, it accepts raw .table files.

// Does not work

echo "in.table" > files.list
java -cp GATK.jar I=files.list O=out.table
// Bad input: The GATK report has an unknown/unsupported version in the header: in.table

// Does work

java -cp GATK.jar I=in.table O=out.table
java -cp GATK.jar I=in1.table I=in2.table O=out.table

// Usage
// I=File List of scattered BQSR files
// O=File File to output the gathered file to

Could you update GatherBqsrReports to accept a .list? I always prefer to pass in a .list instead of multiple options on the command line to avoid exceeded the command line buffer.

Issue · Github
by Sheila

Issue Number
Last Updated
Closed By

• Geraldine_VdAuweraGeraldine_VdAuwera Cambridge, MAMember, Administrator, Broadie

Hi there,

This is a new tool so we need to check the intended behavior. Unfortunately this is a different type of tool compared to most other GATK tools, which doesn't inherit the list-processing abilities conferred by the engine. We may have forgotten to build that capability into this tool. If so we'll put this on the todo list since it's obviously a desirable feature. We'll keep you informed once we get some answers from the tool's original author.

• Geraldine_VdAuweraGeraldine_VdAuwera Cambridge, MAMember, Administrator, Broadie

Hi @awenger, this functionality has just been added and merged into the development version. It will be available starting in the next nightly build.