To celebrate the release of GATK 4.0, we are giving away free credits for running the GATK4 Best Practices pipelines in FireCloud, our secure online analysis portal. It’s first come first serve, so sign up now to claim your free credits worth $250. Sponsored by Google Cloud. Learn more at https://software.broadinstitute.org/firecloud/documentation/freecredits

VQSR with custom annotations?

smgogartensmgogarten University of WashingtonMember

Is it possible to run VQSR with custom annotations? I added some additional columns (not produced by GATK) to the INFO field of my VCF file, and included them with the "-an" flag to VariantRecalibrator. The VariantRecalibratorEngine reports convergence, but then I get this:

INFO  12:55:25,499 VariantDataManager - Training with worst 0 scoring variants --> variants with LOD <= -5.0000.
##### ERROR stack trace
java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: No data found.
        at org.broadinstitute.gatk.tools.walkers.variantrecalibration.VariantRecalibratorEngine.generateModel(VariantRecalibratorEngine.java:88)
        at org.broadinstitute.gatk.tools.walkers.variantrecalibration.VariantRecalibrator.onTraversalDone(VariantRecalibrator.java:408)
        at org.broadinstitute.gatk.tools.walkers.variantrecalibration.VariantRecalibrator.onTraversalDone(VariantRecalibrator.java:156)
        at org.broadinstitute.gatk.engine.executive.Accumulator$StandardAccumulator.finishTraversal(Accumulator.java:129)
        at org.broadinstitute.gatk.engine.executive.LinearMicroScheduler.execute(LinearMicroScheduler.java:116)
        at org.broadinstitute.gatk.engine.GenomeAnalysisEngine.execute(GenomeAnalysisEngine.java:315)
        at org.broadinstitute.gatk.engine.CommandLineExecutable.execute(CommandLineExecutable.java:121)
        at org.broadinstitute.gatk.utils.commandline.CommandLineProgram.start(CommandLineProgram.java:248)
        at org.broadinstitute.gatk.utils.commandline.CommandLineProgram.start(CommandLineProgram.java:155)
        at org.broadinstitute.gatk.engine.CommandLineGATK.main(CommandLineGATK.java:106)

If I run VariantRecalibrator without the custom annotations but everything else the same, it works. I'm using GATK v3.4-46-gbc02625.