We’re moving the GATK website, docs and forum to a new platform. Read the full story and breakdown of key changes on this blog.
If you happen to see a question you know the answer to, please do chime in and help your fellow community members. We encourage our fourm members to be more involved, jump in and help out your fellow researchers with their questions. GATK forum is a community forum and helping each other with using GATK tools and research is the cornerstone of our success as a genomics research community.We appreciate your help!
Test-drive the GATK tools and Best Practices pipelines on Terra
Check out this blog post to learn how you can get started with GATK and try out the pipelines in preconfigured workspaces (with a user-friendly interface!) without having to install anything.
Pooled DNA sequencing- variant calling using HaplotypeCaller
I am trying to perform variant calling using HaplotypeCaller for Drosophila melanogaster pooled sequencing data. I have 50 pools in total and each pool consists of DNA from 60 individuals, sequenced at an average coverage of 40-50X. So my ploidy per pool in is 120. I have previously performed mapping using BWA, filtered out low quality reads, removed duplicates and performed indel realignment. I have split the BAM files and headers by chromosome (to reduce the file size and perform variant calling only on the main chromosomes).
I am giving the program 14-20days to run, 128gb memory and heap size (-Xmx) of 32g. I have reduced the maxAltalles to 3 and 2. Besides reducing the maxAltalleles and changing ploidy to 120, everything else is set to default. I have tried variant calling directly and jointly on all relevant files. I have also tried the -ERC GVCF mode for single files. But I cannot get the program to finish running i.e. I do not get any explicit errors but after ~12-24 hrs the progress gets stuck at one region for the remainder of time and I get the out of time limit/ resource error, for example,
INFO 21:05:08,999 ProgressMeter - 4:335975 0.0 11.4 h 15250.3 w 24.9% 45.9 h 34.5 h (Day 1)
INFO 11:00:05,736 ProgressMeter - 4:335975 0.0 14.1 d 15250.3 w 24.9% 8.1 w 6.1 w (Day 14)
I am using GATK version 3.4-46. This pattern holds for all of the chromosomes, HC modes and different file sizes (ranging from ~35MB to over 1GB). I have used Samtools mpileup to do the same and am able to get a vcf output jointly for many files in ~2-3 days.
Please let me know if there is a problem that I am unable to see.