cfDNA analysis using GATK

Dear experts,

May I consult with you that if GATK pipeline can be used to call mutations for the cell-free circulating DNA sequencing data? If so, is there any difference or any points to pay attention to?

Thank you very much in advance!

Thanks,

Best Answer

Answers

• Geraldine_VdAuweraGeraldine_VdAuwera Cambridge, MAMember, Administrator, Broadie admin
    edited November 2015

Hi there,

This is not something we have tried ourselves so we can't give you any canned advice. I would expect you'd have to deal with a number of complications (related to coverage, purity etc) depending on what you are trying to learn from the cfDNA data. Can you give us a bit more context on your use case / experimental design?

• rxy712rxy712 Member

Thank you for your response! I got a data set, including 30 patients with plasma cell free DNA and matched PBMC DNA as an internal control that reflects the genomic DNA from the patient. I need to call somatic mutations for these patients. I guess I can use bwa-picard-GATK realignment and recalibration pipeline and switch to MUTECT or other tools for variant calling. Am I right? Any input is very appreciated!

Issue · Github
    by Sheila

Issue Number
    State
    closed
    Last Updated
    Assignee
    Array
    Milestone
    Array
    Closed By
    vdauwera
  • rxy712rxy712 Member

Yes, I did what you said. Thank you! It is good to know that MuTect2 can do both SNV and indel now.

• Geraldine_VdAuweraGeraldine_VdAuwera Cambridge, MAMember, Administrator, Broadie admin

FYI mutect2 is now available in the newly released version 3.5

• namratapatelnamratapatel AnandMember

I have cfDNA samples of 4 patients and we have taken two normal samples, now how can i call variants using Mutect2 if i dont have matching normal and patient pairs?

Thank You

• bhanuGandhambhanuGandham Member, Administrator, Broadie, Moderator admin

Hi @namratapatel

Please follow this doc for info on variant calling with mutect2 without matching normal and patient pairs.

Regards
    Bhanu