Holiday Notice:
The Frontline Support team will be offline February 18 for President's Day but will be back February 19th. Thank you for your patience as we get to all of your questions!

Genotyping of a group of samples

AswathyNAswathyN BangaloreMember

Hello ,
Could you please explain
1)Why Genotyping is performed for a group of Targeted samples together?
2)What is the effect if we group some samples with very different set of variants?

Thanks in advance,
Aswathy

Answers

• SheilaSheila Broad InstituteMember, Broadie, Moderator admin
  • AswathyNAswathyN BangaloreMember

Hello Sheila,
    I have in a batch, a few Onco samples like Neuro balstoma, Prostrate cancer etc.
    Is it OK if I group these samples for joint genotyping, considering the fact that the target genes for the diseases are different and hence the variants are also different?

• Geraldine_VdAuweraGeraldine_VdAuwera Cambridge, MAMember, Administrator, Broadie admin

You should probably not be using these variant calling tools on cancer samples. HaplotypeCaller is not able to model somatic variation appropriately. You should use a somatic caller like MuTect instead. We'll have a new version of MuTect out soon that does both SNPs and indels.

Thanks Geraldine!
    I have one more question.
    Suppose I have a batch of samples for Neurology diseases, can I group samples for Roussy-Levy syndrome and Neuropathy, distal hereditary motor type IIB etc. together and do a joint genotyping (after performing HaplotypeCaller on individual samples), considering the fact that the target genes for the diseases are different and hence the variants are also different?

Is it Ok if we group samples Cystic Fibrosis samples and Goldberg-Sphrintzen Syndrome together for the joint genotyping

Glycogen Storage Disease Type 0

• Geraldine_VdAuweraGeraldine_VdAuwera Cambridge, MAMember, Administrator, Broadie admin

Yes, you can perform joint genotyping on all of these together. Have a look at the preprint of the ExAC paper, which has some discussion of the rationale for analyzing together many samples. http://biorxiv.org/content/early/2015/10/30/030338

Hello Geraldine,
    Could you please explain how HaplotypeCaller variant calling is different for Onco Samples and other type of samples like Neurology (as explained by you earlier).
    Why HaplotypeCaller is not able to model somatic variants?

Thanks in advance,
    Aswathy

It mostly comes down to the caller's expectations about allele frequency. HaplotypeCaller expects allele frequencies to conform roughly to proportions of organism ploidy. The further away, the more likely it is that the lower allele frequency is due to artifact, that sort of thing. Whereas in somatic variant calling we know that allele frequencies can be wildly different from ploidy-based expectations because of various properties of somatic samples and mutations (tumor purity, copy number etc). The new MuTect2 which will be released later this week is a hybrid of HaplotypeCaller and the original MuTect somatic variant caller, so it is basically HC adapted for modeling somatic variation.