Hi GATK Users,

Happy Thanksgiving!
Our staff will be observing the holiday and will be unavailable from 22nd to 25th November. This will cause a delay in reaching out to you and answering your questions immediately. Rest assured we will get back to it on Monday November 26th. We are grateful for your support and patience.
Have a great holiday everyone!!!

Regards
GATK Staff

Indexing not recognized by alignment scripts

jfb325jfb325 IthacaMember

Hello,

I've followed the exact commandline instructions for two separate reference files (hg.fa and Homo_sapiens_assembly19.fasta). I am definitely generating the files, but other tools (bwa mem) find no index when I use the reference as an argument. Full example below:

$ bwa index -a bwtsw -p Homo_sapiens_assembly19 Homo_sapiens_assembly19.fasta $ samtools faidx Homo_sapiens_assembly19.fasta $ picard CreateSequenceDictionary \ REFERENCE=Homo_sapiens_assembly19.fasta \ OUTPUT=Homo_sapiens_assembly19.dict
(all of these finish without an error)

$ ls Homo_sapiens_assembly19* Homo_sapiens_assembly19.amb Homo_sapiens_assembly19.bwt Homo_sapiens_assembly19.fasta Homo_sapiens_assembly19.pac Homo_sapiens_assembly19.ann Homo_sapiens_assembly19.dict Homo_sapiens_assembly19.fasta.fai Homo_sapiens_assembly19.sa

However

$ bwa mem Homo_sapiens_assembly19.fasta filtered.fastq [E::bwa_idx_load_from_disk] fail to locate the index files

Any ideas? I could swear I've run this exact same pipeline before with the same files without any issues...

I'm running bwa-0.7.12 with picard-1.140 and samtools-1.2 on a Macbook Pro OSX El Capitan. Every command executed within the same directory.

Thanks for any help!

Tagged:

Answers

• jfb325jfb325 IthacaMember

Resolved. The -p flag in the bwa index line should have the same text as the first argument of bwa mem. Working after using:

bwa mem Homo_sapiens_assembly19 filtered.fastq
    instead of
    bwa mem Homo_sapiens_assembly19.fasta filtered.fastq

or using
    bwa index -a bwtsw Homo_sapiens_assembly19.fasta
    instead of
    bwa index -a bwtsw -p Homo_sapiens_assembly19 Homo_sapiens_assembly19.fasta