Attention:
The frontline support team will be slow on the forum because we are occupied with the GATK Workshop on March 21st and 22nd 2019. We will be back and more available to answer questions on the forum on March 25th 2019.

GTAK gives up sorting BAM file with strange quality scores

I have a problem processing a BAM file with GATK 3.4-46. This is my command:

java -Xmx3g -jar GenomeAnalysisTK.jar -l INFO -R resources/Homo_sapiens_assembly19.fasta -T UnifiedGenotyper -I /tmp/foo.bam -L Y -rf BadCigar -o /tmp/foo.vcf --output_mode EMIT_ALL_CONFIDENT_SITES

and I get an error:

ERROR MESSAGE: SAM/BAM/CRAM file [email protected]2734443 appears to be using the wrong encoding for quality scores: we encountered an extremely high quality score of 63; please see the GATK --help documentation for options related to this error

I searched on the web and found that adding some more flags has helped some people to resolve the problem so I modified the command:

java -Xmx3g -jar GenomeAnalysisTK.jar -l INFO -R resources/Homo_sapiens_assembly19.fasta -T UnifiedGenotyper -I /tmp/foo.bam -L Y -rf BadCigar -o /tmp/foo.vcf --output_mode EMIT_ALL_CONFIDENT_SITES --fix_misencoded_quality_scores -fixMisencodedQuals

Now it fails in a different way:

ERROR MESSAGE: Bad input: while fixing mis-encoded base qualities we encountered a read that was correctly encoded; we cannot handle such a mixture of reads so unfortunately the BAM must be fixed with some other tool

Any idea how to fix this?

Tagged:

Answers