Test-drive the GATK tools and Best Practices pipelines on Terra

Check out this blog post to learn how you can get started with GATK and try out the pipelines in preconfigured workspaces (with a user-friendly interface!) without having to install anything.

ReadBackedPhasing

AswathyNAswathyN BangaloreMember

Hello,
I perform variant calling on Amplicon Based Targeted Exome sequencing on Human.
I use a licenced version of GATK (V2014.3-3.2.2-7-g f9cba99).
I am using ReadBackedPhasing for obtaining the Phasing information.
After a successful run of the above tool, it displays that Sites phased are 41. (Screenshot attached)
However, in the output file I don't see any variant with a phased genotype.
The ReadBackedPhasing specific arguments provided are as given below:

java -jar ~/software_stack/GenomeAnalysisTK/GenomeAnalysisTK.jar -T ReadBackedPhasing -R ~/reference_stack/reference/human.fasta -I ~/dummydir/out.bam -V ~/dummydir/Sample.vcf -o ~/dummydir/Sample_Phased.vcf

I would also like to know what would be the ideal horizontal as well as vertical coverage (as per the interval file) for Amplicon based Targeted Exome sequencing to carry out a successful Genotype phasing.

Thanks & Regards,
Aswathy

Answers

• SheilaSheila Broad InstituteMember, Broadie, Moderator admin
    edited August 2015

@AswathyN
    Hi Aswathy,

Can you please post the bam file and VCF record of a site you think should be phased?

Thanks,
    Sheila

• AswathyNAswathyN BangaloreMember

Hello Sheila,
    I read from a blog that ReadBackedPhasing performs phasing on the vcf data and it is denoted with a tag "HP" instead of "|".
    My output file has "HP" tags for the phased variants. This answered my concerns. But I have a few more questions.
    1) I would also like to know what would be the ideal horizontal as well as vertical coverage (as per the interval file) for Amplicon based Targeted Exome sequencing to carry out a successful Genotype phasing.
    2) Could you please explain what the number in the "HP" field of GT field signifies?
    For your reference a variant record is provided below.

1 45797508 . C G 1420.54 PASS AC=1;AF=0.224;AN=2;BaseQRankSum=0.550;ClippingRankSum=0.358;DP=316;FS=9.916;GQ_MEAN=29.59;GQ_STDDEV=27.12;InbreedingCoeff=0.0166;MLEAC=14;MLEAF=0.241;MQ=60.00;MQ0=0;MQRankSum=0.406;NCC=8;POSITIVE_TRAIN_SITE;QD=18.21;ReadPosRankSum=0.00;VQSLOD=1.93;culprit=FS GT:AD:DP:GQ:HP:PL 0/1:11,6:17:94:45797505-1,45797505-2:94,0,229

Thanks,
    Aswathy

• SheilaSheila Broad InstituteMember, Broadie, Moderator admin
  • AswathyNAswathyN BangaloreMember

Thank you Sheila.. I got the answer..