To celebrate the release of GATK 4.0, we are giving away free credits for running the GATK4 Best Practices pipelines in FireCloud, our secure online analysis portal. It’s first come first serve, so sign up now to claim your free credits worth $250. Sponsored by Google Cloud. Learn more at

output_mode option in HaplotypeCaller using gVCF mode

Lisa0508Lisa0508 Ann Arbor, MIMember

Dear GATK team,
I wish to get gVCF files for each data set. But I am not sure if I should still use --output_mode EMIT_ALL_SITES argument in my command lines. In your previous thread, I found you mentioned that "HaplotypeCaller used to have that option, but it was removed when we introduced the reference model (gVCF) option. Have a look at the documentation that explains this here:". I clicked in the link. But the link was not accessible. So I wish to confirm if I am using the right arguments in my command. Here is my command. I have removed the --output_mode option. Will that be all right?
java -Xmx12g -jar $GATK_JARS/GenomeAnalysisTK.jar \
-T HaplotypeCaller \
-R ucsc.hg19.fasta \
-I sample1.realigned.dedup.sorted.bam \
--genotyping_mode DISCOVERY \
-stand_emit_conf 10 \
-stand_call_conf 20 \
--emitRefConfidence GVCF \
--variant_index_type LINEAR \
--variant_index_parameter 128000 \
-o raw_var_sample1.g.vcf

Best Answer

• tommycarstensentommycarstensen United KingdomMember

@Lisa0508 I'm a user like you. The HC documentation doesn't actually say that the default mode is EMIT_VARIANTS_ONLY. It's safe for you to leave --output_mode EMIT_ALL_SITES out. I'm not sure how it works with --emitRefConfidence GVCF anyway. Best of luck and have fun with GATK and your variant calling.