To celebrate the release of GATK 4.0, we are giving away free credits for running the GATK4 Best Practices pipelines in FireCloud, our secure online analysis portal. It’s first come first serve, so sign up now to claim your free credits worth $250. Sponsored by Google Cloud. Learn more at https://software.broadinstitute.org/firecloud/documentation/freecredits

Ordering samples with SelectVariants and VariantsToTable

Hello GATK team,

Given a sample.txt file to be used with -sf flag, and sample names given on each line, is there an option in SelectVariants and/or VariantsToTable that allows output to be ordered as specified?

sample.txt file:
Ind1
Ind4
Ind2
Ind3

desired sample fields in .vcf file:
Ind1 Ind4 Ind2 Ind3

This can be done with command line tools, but thought I would ask here first. Thanks!

Issue · Github
by Sheila

Issue Number
State
closed
Last Updated
Closed By
vdauwera

Best Answer

Answers

• SheilaSheila Broad InstituteMember, Broadie, Moderator

@o_O
    Hi,

Unfortunately, it seems like the output is in numerical order and there is no option to override that. Let me see if I can put in a feature request.

-Sheila

• SheilaSheila Broad InstituteMember, Broadie, Moderator

@o_O
    Hi,

This feature has been turned down by the developers. They would prefer to have a universally consistent rule for ordering. You can either write scripts that are not order-sensitive, or convert to a specific order using some other solution. It seems like you already know how to do that, so it should not be a problem.

-Sheila

• o_Oo_O Member

Thank you, Sheila. Is there an option to keep the columns as is (i.e., not re-ordered) in my vcf when using VariantsToTable? Thanks!