Heads up:
We’re moving the GATK website, docs and forum to a new platform. Read the full story and breakdown of key changes on this blog.
Notice:
If you happen to see a question you know the answer to, please do chime in and help your fellow community members. We encourage our fourm members to be more involved, jump in and help out your fellow researchers with their questions. GATK forum is a community forum and helping each other with using GATK tools and research is the cornerstone of our success as a genomics research community.We appreciate your help!

Test-drive the GATK tools and Best Practices pipelines on Terra

Check out this blog post to learn how you can get started with GATK and try out the pipelines in preconfigured workspaces (with a user-friendly interface!) without having to install anything.

Base recalibration: seeking help

Sir,
I was trying to recalibration_report.grp file using the following command:
java -Xmx16g -jar /Users/ZILLURRAHMAN/Desktop/PhD/GATK/GenomeAnalysisTK.jar -T BaseRecalibrator -I Naushon.sorted.bam -R strain_naushan.fasta --knownSites Naushon.sorted.vcf -o recalibration_report.grp

But it gave me the following error report:

ERROR MESSAGE: Invalid command line: No tribble type was provided on the command line and the type of the file 'Naushon.sorted.vcf' could not be determined dynamically. Please add an explicit type tag :NAME listing the correct type from among the supported types:
ERROR Name FeatureType Documentation
ERROR BCF2 VariantContext (this is an external codec and is not documented within GATK)
ERROR BEAGLE BeagleFeature (this is an external codec and is not documented within GATK)
ERROR BED BEDFeature (this is an external codec and is not documented within GATK)
ERROR BEDTABLE TableFeature (this is an external codec and is not documented within GATK)
ERROR EXAMPLEBINARY Feature (this is an external codec and is not documented within GATK)
ERROR GELITEXT GeliTextFeature (this is an external codec and is not documented within GATK)
ERROR OLDDBSNP OldDbSNPFeature (this is an external codec and is not documented within GATK)
ERROR RAWHAPMAP RawHapMapFeature (this is an external codec and is not documented within GATK)
ERROR REFSEQ RefSeqFeature (this is an external codec and is not documented within GATK)
ERROR SAMPILEUP SAMPileupFeature (this is an external codec and is not documented within GATK)
ERROR SAMREAD SAMReadFeature (this is an external codec and is not documented within GATK)
ERROR TABLE TableFeature (this is an external codec and is not documented within GATK)
ERROR VCF VariantContext (this is an external codec and is not documented within GATK)
ERROR VCF3 VariantContext (this is an external codec and is not documented within GATK)

What should I do now?

Answers

• zillurbmb51zillurbmb51 USAMember

I have faced another problem:

ERROR MESSAGE: SAM/BAM/CRAM file Naushon.bam is malformed: SAM file doesn't have any read groups defined in the header. The GATK no longer supports SAM files without read groups
    ERROR ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[zil[email protected] Naushan]$

Hi,
    I was trying to use picard using the following lines. But it is always showing me unrecognised option.
    MacBook-Pro:Strain_Naushon ZILLURRAHMAN$ java -Xmx16g -jar /Users/ZILLURRAHMAN/Desktop/PhD/GATK/picard-tools-1.119/AddOrReplaceReadGroups.jar I=Naushon.sorted.bam O=Naushon.picard.bam \ PL=illumina ID=$RANDOM SM=mysample
    ERROR: Unrecognized option: PL

java -Xmx16g -jar /Users/ZILLURRAHMAN/Desktop/PhD/GATK/picard-tools-1.119/AddOrReplaceReadGroups.jar I=Naushon.sorted.bam O=Naushon.picard.bam \ RGPL=illumina RGID=$RANDOM RGSM=mysample
    ERROR: Unrecognized option: RGPL

MacBook-Pro:Strain_Naushon ZILLURRAHMAN$ java -Xmx16g -jar /Users/ZILLURRAHMAN/Desktop/PhD/GATK/picard-tools-1.119/AddOrReplaceReadGroups.jar I=Naushon.sorted.bam O=Naushon.picard.bam \ CREATE_INDEX=true \ RGPL=illumina RGID=$RANDOM RGSM=mysample
    ERROR: Unrecognized option: CREATE_INDEX

Anyone help me.

• SheilaSheila Broad InstituteMember, Broadie admin

@zillurbmb51
    Hi,

Can you tell me what version of GATK you are using? I think you need to upgrade to the latest version. https://www.broadinstitute.org/gatk/download/

You also need to upgrade to the latest Picard release. The version you are using does not support the same arguments in the documentation. https://github.com/broadinstitute/picard/releases/tag/1.137

-Sheila

Thank you very much for your kind reply. My GATK is 3.4.0 and Picard is 1.119.

picard 1.119 gave me many files(after unzip) but picard 1.137 gave me only four files after unzip. (htsjdk-1.137.jar
    libIntelDeflater.so
    picard-lib.jar
    picard.jar)

Is it ok or I am doing anything wrong

• KurtKurt Member ✭✭✭

version 1.119 was the last version where every picard program had its own jar file. every release after this is where each program is called through picard.jar; e.g.

java -jar picard.jar AddOrReplaceReadGroups

version 1.119 and earlier would of been.

java -jar AddOrReplaceReadGroups.jar

...as an aside, this made me think that I kind of miss getting the picard release notes from the samtools forum emails automatically....