Service notice: Several of our team members are on vacation so service will be slow through at least July 13th, possibly longer depending on how much backlog accumulates during that time. This means that for a while it may take us more time than usual to answer your questions. Thank you for your patience.

Samtools index error when running Preprocessing on GenomeStrip Release 2.00.1.602.

JojoTanJojoTan SingaporeMember
edited July 2015 in GenomeSTRiP

Hi,

I am running GenomeStrip Release 2.00.1.602.

I did the installtest run and everything works fine.

Currently, I am working on 17 WGS bam files and I am constantly getting the following error.
Error: samtools index /mnt/projects/tanhjj99/drug_response/svtoolkit/installtest/TEST/metadata/headers.bam

I ran this line of command and it works without error.

This is the command which I used to run the preprocessing:

mx="-Xmx4g"
classpath="${SV_DIR}/lib/SVToolkit.jar:${SV_DIR}/lib/gatk/GenomeAnalysisTK.jar:${SV_DIR}/lib/gatk/Queue.jar"

java -cp ${classpath} ${mx}
\ org.broadinstitute.gatk.queue.QCommandLine
\ -S ${SV_DIR}/qscript/SVPreprocess.q
\ -S ${SV_DIR}/qscript/SVQScript.q
\ -gatk ${SV_DIR}/lib/gatk/GenomeAnalysisTK.jar
\ -cp ${classpath}
\ -configFile ${confile}
\ -tempDir ${SV_TMPDIR}
\ -R ${refgenome}
\ -genomeMaskFile ${processingdatapath}/human_g1k_v37.mask.100.fasta
\ -copyNumberMaskFile ${processingdatapath}/cn2_mask_g1k_v37.fasta
\ -genderMapFile ${currentpath}/bamfilegendermap.txt
\ -ploidyMapFile ${processingdatapath}/humgen_g1k_v37_ploidy.map
\ -runDirectory ${runDir}
\ -md ${runDir}/metadata
\ -useMultiStep
\ -reduceInsertSizeDistributions true
\ -computeGCProfiles true
\ -computeReadCounts true
\ -jobLogDir ${runDir}/logs
\ -I SEQUENCINGbamfile.list
\ -run

What should I do to solve this problem?

Thank you very much.

Best regards,
Joanna

Answers

• bhandsakerbhandsaker Member, Broadie, Moderator

And if you run
    samtools index /mnt/projects/tanhjj99/drug_response/svtoolkit/installtest/TEST/metadata/headers.bam
    from the command line?
    And does it return a zero exit status?

• JojoTanJojoTan SingaporeMember

I ran this line from the command line and it executes perfectly.

There was no error.

It's hard to say without more context or more of an error message. Assuming you are running on a compute cluster, perhaps the execution environment on the cluster node is slightly different than when you run the command interactively.

• JojoTanJojoTan SingaporeMember

I tried to run it on both a cluster node and interactively and the error appears.

Despite the error, the program is able to continue running the downstream of Preprocessing without throwing other errors.

Will this error affect the output of the preprocess pipeline?

As long you as you created a bam index, you will certainly be fine.
    The bam index may not even be required, but it is better to have it there just in case.

• zengjyzengjy ChinaMember

Hi, i am trying to do SV calling using Genome STRiP release 2.00.2665.

I did the installtest run and everything works fine.

Whatever I worked on a single bam file or a set of bam files, I am constantly getting the following error:
    ERROR 11:59:05,289 FunctionEdge - Error: samtools index /p200/pmod_group/zengjingyao/Genome_STRiP/test3/test1/metadata/headers.bam
    ERROR 11:59:05,311 FunctionEdge - Contents of /p200/pmod_group/zengjingyao/Genome_STRiP/test3/test1/logs/SVPreprocess-3.out:

Therefore, i compared my bam files to the installtest.bam, and i found that the header of installtest.bam has muptiple @RG while my bam files just hava uniq @RG in the header per file. Is this the reason for the error? Is the installtest.bam the result of merging multiple raw bam files?

In addtion, can i use truncated bam files to run Genome STRiP?