Notice:
If you happen to see a question you know the answer to, please do chime in and help your fellow community members. We encourage our fourm members to be more involved, jump in and help out your fellow researchers with their questions. GATK forum is a community forum and helping each other with using GATK tools and research is the cornerstone of our success as a genomics research community.We appreciate your help!

Test-drive the GATK tools and Best Practices pipelines on Terra

Check out this blog post to learn how you can get started with GATK and try out the pipelines in preconfigured workspaces (with a user-friendly interface!) without having to install anything.

VariantAnnotator Annotation Error

MaxideSousaMaxideSousa ArgentinaMember

Hello,
I'm trying to annotate using VariantAnnotator, when I run:

java -jar GenomeAnalysisTK.jar -T VariantAnnotator -R ucsc.hg19.fasta --variant LK8851-Clean.vcf --resource LK8851-Clean-snpEff.vcf -L LK8851-Clean.vcf -o LK8851-Clean-VA.vcf

I get the following error:

Your input file has a malformed header: The FORMAT field was provided but there is no genotype/sample data

One of the variant lines:

#CHROM POS ID REF ALT QUAL FILTER INFO FORMAT
1 14907 rs79585140 A G 661.53 MQFilter40 . .

I downloaded the vcf from https://my.pgp-hms.org/ and had to add the "." in the INFO and FORMAT columns because I was getting the error:

Line 128: there aren't enough columns for line 1 14930 rs75454623 AG 1103.37 MQFilter40 . (we expected 9 tokens, and saw 8 )

I'm new to this, I really searched a lot, but couldn't find anything useful, probably a very stupid error, but I would really appreciate your help.

Thank you for your time,
Maxi

Best Answers

Answers

• SheilaSheila Broad InstituteMember, Broadie admin

@MaxideSousa
    Hi Maxi,

How did you produce the input VCF file LK8851-Clean.vcf? What exactly are you trying to achieve by running Variant Annotator?

Thanks,
    Sheila

• MaxideSousaMaxideSousa ArgentinaMember
    edited July 2015

Hi Sheila,

I downloaded the vcf from a pacients data bank from the Personal Genome Project, I erased the annotated info, so as to try and compare how different annotation programs work and what kind of info they add. Now I`m trying to get all the info VA can provide, understand it and decide if I will be using it on my pipeline for human genomic analysis for my PhD.

Thanks,
    Maxi