To celebrate the release of GATK 4.0, we are giving away free credits for running the GATK4 Best Practices pipelines in FireCloud, our secure online analysis portal. It’s first come first serve, so sign up now to claim your free credits worth $250. Sponsored by Google Cloud. Learn more at https://software.broadinstitute.org/firecloud/documentation/freecredits

Is it possible to disable DuplicateReadFilter in UnifiedGenotyper?

lucas careylucas carey Barcelona, SpainMember

Hi All,

My understanding of DuplicateReadFilter is that is removes PCR duplicates (ie: identical reads that map to the same location in the genome). Is there a way to prevent UnifiedGenotyper from using this filter?

Many of my 'duplicate' reads are not really duplicates. I have 50bp single ended yeast RNA-seq data, and 10 samples/lane results in highly over-sampled data. Removing duplicates results in an undercounting of reads at the most highly expressed genes, and therefore an increased number of sub-clonal variants at these genes (because the reads from the major clonal population are discarded, but reads of sub-clonal populations are kept because they have a different sequence). At least I think that is what is happening.

-Lucas

Best Answers

Answers