Hi GATK Users,

Happy Thanksgiving!
Our staff will be observing the holiday and will be unavailable from 22nd to 25th November. This will cause a delay in reaching out to you and answering your questions immediately. Rest assured we will get back to it on Monday November 26th. We are grateful for your support and patience.
Have a great holiday everyone!!!

Regards
GATK Staff

Mutect with multiple bams or single bams

IrantzuIrantzu Member
edited March 2015 in MuTect v1

Hi all,
I've a general question about the input files that MuTect tool requires and if there are differences if I use one method or another, let me explain. I have 8 bam files (4 normal and 4 tumor, matched one to one). Questions:

1) How should I call MuTect tool? Should I ran mutect 4 times (one per sample:normal-tumor)? Or it is better if I call MuTect with the 4 normal bams as "normal" and the 4 tumor bams as "tumor" all in one run (is this possible and if it is, how? just like in GATK?).
2) Regarding the reads groups on bam files... should I change the reads group to "tumor" or "normal", or it is not necessary? I mean: in the command line:
-I:normal sample1_N.bam \
-I:tumor sample1_T.bam \
Does MuTect detect that sample1_T.bam is a tumor bam because it is specified "-I:tumor" or because the read group is "tumor"?

3) Is better to create first a "panel of normals" using the 4 normal bams, and then run MuTect giving as input the vcf file? What would be the difference between running with/without the panel?

I hope I've explained myself.

Thank in advance.

Tagged:

Best Answer

Answers