Hi GATK Users,

Happy Thanksgiving!
Our staff will be observing the holiday and will be unavailable from 22nd to 25th November. This will cause a delay in reaching out to you and answering your questions immediately. Rest assured we will get back to it on Monday November 26th. We are grateful for your support and patience.
Have a great holiday everyone!!!

Regards
GATK Staff

variant analysis -calling

sfh838tsfh838t MissouriMember

I am working with plants, and so cannot follow most of your human/cancer specific workflows etc.
Also my question is probably not GATK specifc, but I would be very grateful for any kind of answer. I have used BWA to align a set of reads and the contigs assembled from these reads (de novo). I have used samtools mpileup and GATK unifiedGenotyper on the aligned reads. This results for both in a list of ONLY SNPs, the same ones (aside of sensitivity).
I have also used the samtools steps on the aligned contigs, resulting in a list of ONLY indels.
I can clearly see both SNPs and indels in IGV, both looking at the reads or the contigs.
generally I see that reads are being used for variant calling, so is it "wrong" to use contigs? and why do I not get ANY indels in either tool's output when using reads? any ideas?

Best Answer

Answers