Notice:
If you happen to see a question you know the answer to, please do chime in and help your fellow community members. We encourage our fourm members to be more involved, jump in and help out your fellow researchers with their questions. GATK forum is a community forum and helping each other with using GATK tools and research is the cornerstone of our success as a genomics research community.We appreciate your help!

Test-drive the GATK tools and Best Practices pipelines on Terra

Check out this blog post to learn how you can get started with GATK and try out the pipelines in preconfigured workspaces (with a user-friendly interface!) without having to install anything.

Workflow using HaplotypeCaller, GenotypeGVCFs, VQSR, and CalculateGenotypePosteriors

astrandastrand New YorkMember

Hi,

I have recal.bam files for all the individuals in my study (these constitute 4 families), and each bam file contains information for one chromosome for one individual. I was wondering if it is best for me to pass all the files for a single individual together when running HaplotypeCaller, if it will increase the accuracy of the calling, or if I can just run HaplotypeCaller on each individual bam file separately.

Also, I was wondering at which step I should be using CalculateGenotypePosteriors, and if it will clean up the calls substantially. VQSR already filters the calls, but I was reading that CalculateGenotypePosteriors actually takes pedigree files, which would be useful in my case. Should I try to use CalculateGenotypePosteriors after VQSR? Are there other relevant filtering or clean-up tools that I should be aware of?

Thanks very much in advance,

Alva

Best Answer

Answers