Question about picard BuildBamIndex

sclee1sclee1 seoulMember
edited January 2015 in Ask the GATK team

Greeting all.

Currently, I have been using Picard's built-in library "BuildBamIndex" in order to index my bam files.

I have followed the manual described in Picard sites but I got error message.

Here is my command line that you can easily understand as below.

java -Xmx8g -XX:ParallelGCThreads=8 -jar $picard/BuildBamIndex.jar I=$RealignedBamDir/$output6

I tried different approach to avoid this error message so I used "samtools index" which i think is also same function as Picard BuildBamIndex.

After using samtools, I successfully got my bam index files.

I suppose that there are no major difference between Picard bamindex and samtools bam index.

I am confusing that why only samtools index procedure is working fine?

Below is my error message when run "BuildBamIndex" from Picard.

**[Sun Jan 18 22:15:42 KST 2015] picard.sam.BuildBamIndex INPUT=/DATA1/sclee1/data/URC_WES/U01/01U_N_Filtered_Sorted_Markdup_readgroup.bam VERBOSITY=INFO QUIET=false VALIDATION_STRINGENCY=STRICT COMPRESSION_LEVEL=5 MAX_RECORDS_IN_RAM=500000 CREATE_INDEX=false CREATE_MD5_FILE=false
[Sun Jan 18 22:15:42 KST 2015] picard.sam.BuildBamIndex done. Elapsed time: 0.00 minutes.
Runtime.totalMemory()=2058354688
To get help, see http://broadinstitute.github.io/picard/index.html#GettingHelp
Exception in thread "main" htsjdk.samtools.SAMException: Exception creating BAM index for record HSQ-2K:530:C5PJAACXX:6:2109:18806:13902 1/2 101b aligned read.
at htsjdk.samtools.BAMIndexer.processAlignment(BAMIndexer.java:92)
at htsjdk.samtools.BAMIndexer.createIndex(BAMIndexer.java:291)
at htsjdk.samtools.BAMIndexer.createIndex(BAMIndexer.java:271)
at picard.sam.BuildBamIndex.doWork(BuildBamIndex.java:133)
at picard.cmdline.CommandLineProgram.instanceMain(CommandLineProgram.java:187)
at picard.cmdline.PicardCommandLine.instanceMain(PicardCommandLine.java:95)
at picard.cmdline.PicardCommandLine.main(PicardCommandLine.java:105)
Caused by: htsjdk.samtools.SAMException: BAM cannot be indexed without setting a fileSource for record HSQ-2K:530:C5PJAACXX:6:2109:18806:13902 1/2 101b aligned read.
at htsjdk.samtools.BAMIndexMetaData.recordMetaData(BAMIndexMetaData.java:130)
at htsjdk.samtools.BAMIndexer$BAMIndexBuilder.processAlignment(BAMIndexer.java:182)
at htsjdk.samtools.BAMIndexer.processAlignment(BAMIndexer.java:90)
... 6 more

I look forward to hearing positive answers from you soon.

Bye!

Answers

• Geraldine_VdAuweraGeraldine_VdAuwera Cambridge, MAMember, Administrator, Broadie

Hi there,

I'm sorry, I don't know what is wrong here. You should ask this on the Picard/samtools mailing list (see the url indicated in the error message), they may be able to help you.

• dvalenzudvalenzu HelsinkiMember

Hi sclee1,
    it seems to be a bug in the last version of Picard. Can you confirm which version are you using?
    I just have the same problem (and fount your answer by googling the error) with Picard 128 (latest release),
    I have just tried with version 125 and it works fine.
    Good luck!
    Daniel
    p.s: We should report the bug to the Picard team :-)