Hi GATK Users,

Happy Thanksgiving!
Our staff will be observing the holiday and will be unavailable from 22nd to 25th November. This will cause a delay in reaching out to you and answering your questions immediately. Rest assured we will get back to it on Monday November 26th. We are grateful for your support and patience.
Have a great holiday everyone!!!

Regards
GATK Staff

JEXL and selectVariants

louwslouws San FranciscoMember

Hi,

I am trying to use select variants along with the JEXL syntax. In this specific case I wish to select those variants that

(1)Were heterozygous and,

(2)The ALT allele had more than 8 reads and,

(3) The alternate allele frequency exceeds 20% or as I define in a calculation: (ALT_AD)/(ALT_AD+REF_AD) >= 0.20

My JEXL looks like this:

(vc.getGenotype(“SAMP1").isHet()) && (vc.getGenotype(“SAMP1").getAD().1 >= 8) && (((vc.getGenotype(“SAMP1").getAD().1) / ((vc.getGenotype(“SAMP1").getAD().0)+(vc.getGenotype("SAMP1").getAD().1))) >= 0.2)

In this case, I get no results ( although GATK executes succesfully without errors). However when I exclude the third clause I get the expected results namely those variants that are (1)heterozygous and (2) The ALT_AD exceeds 8 reads. Like so:

(vc.getGenotype(“SAMP1").isHet()) && (vc.getGenotype(“SAMP1").getAD().1 >= 8)

To troubleshoot this issue I thought it might be a decimal vs. integer issue and I added a decimal value to my AD calculation, like so:

(vc.getGenotype(“SAMP1").isHet()) && (vc.getGenotype(“SAMP1").getAD().1 >= 8) && (((vc.getGenotype(“SAMP1").getAD().1 + 0.000000001) / ((vc.getGenotype(“SAMP1").getAD().0)+(vc.getGenotype("SAMP1").getAD().1))) >= 0.2)

The result was that select variants proceeded to select calls as if that third clause did not exist. I am not sure what I might be overlooking, but any insight much appreciated.

Comments

• louwslouws San FranciscoMember

Hi all,

I found the issue, it is an integer vs. decimal issue. For those interested I modified my JEXL by converting the array value into a float, like so:

(((vc.getGenotype(“SAMP1").getAD().1.floatValue()) / ((vc.getGenotype(“SAMP1").getAD().0.floatValue())+(vc.getGenotype("SAMP1").getAD().1,floatValue()))) >= 0.2)

I hope that will help others in the future.

• pdexheimerpdexheimer Member ✭✭✭✭

Nice catch! That solution was not at all obvious to me