JEXL and selectVariants

louwslouws San FranciscoMember

Hi,

I am trying to use select variants along with the JEXL syntax. In this specific case I wish to select those variants that

(1)Were heterozygous and,

(2)The ALT allele had more than 8 reads and,

(3) The alternate allele frequency exceeds 20% or as I define in a calculation: (ALT_AD)/(ALT_AD+REF_AD) >= 0.20

My JEXL looks like this:

(vc.getGenotype(“SAMP1").isHet()) && (vc.getGenotype(“SAMP1").getAD().1 >= 8) && (((vc.getGenotype(“SAMP1").getAD().1) / ((vc.getGenotype(“SAMP1").getAD().0)+(vc.getGenotype("SAMP1").getAD().1))) >= 0.2)

In this case, I get no results ( although GATK executes succesfully without errors). However when I exclude the third clause I get the expected results namely those variants that are (1)heterozygous and (2) The ALT_AD exceeds 8 reads. Like so:

(vc.getGenotype(“SAMP1").isHet()) && (vc.getGenotype(“SAMP1").getAD().1 >= 8)

To troubleshoot this issue I thought it might be a decimal vs. integer issue and I added a decimal value to my AD calculation, like so:

(vc.getGenotype(“SAMP1").isHet()) && (vc.getGenotype(“SAMP1").getAD().1 >= 8) && (((vc.getGenotype(“SAMP1").getAD().1 + 0.000000001) / ((vc.getGenotype(“SAMP1").getAD().0)+(vc.getGenotype("SAMP1").getAD().1))) >= 0.2)

The result was that select variants proceeded to select calls as if that third clause did not exist. I am not sure what I might be overlooking, but any insight much appreciated.

Comments

• louwslouws San FranciscoMember

Hi all,

I found the issue, it is an integer vs. decimal issue. For those interested I modified my JEXL by converting the array value into a float, like so:

(((vc.getGenotype(“SAMP1").getAD().1.floatValue()) / ((vc.getGenotype(“SAMP1").getAD().0.floatValue())+(vc.getGenotype("SAMP1").getAD().1,floatValue()))) >= 0.2)

I hope that will help others in the future.

• Nice catch! That solution was not at all obvious to me