To celebrate the release of GATK 4.0, we are giving away free credits for running the GATK4 Best Practices pipelines in FireCloud, our secure online analysis portal. It’s first come first serve, so sign up now to claim your free credits worth $250. Sponsored by Google Cloud. Learn more at https://software.broadinstitute.org/firecloud/documentation/freecredits

SelectVariants not accepting --variant

louwslouws San FranciscoMember
edited January 2015 in Ask the GATK team

Hi,

I am attempting to run the tool SelectVariants and everything seems ok but for one error I receive:
##### ERROR MESSAGE: Invalid argument value '—-variant' at position 4.

##### ERROR Invalid argument value 'input.vcf' at position 5.

My intitial command was:

java -jar GenomeAnalysisTK.jar -T SelectVariants -R human_g1k_v37.fasta —-variant input.vcf -select '[my select code]' -o output.vcf

Any help appreciated.

Thank you!

Tagged:

Best Answer

Answers

• louwslouws San FranciscoMember
    edited January 2015

Brilliant tommycarstensen ! That was it. What a bizarre error, I never encountered it before. But your keen eye solved the problem. Thank you!

edit: I should clarify for others who might have the same issue; the problem was the different dash sizes. Using a 'normal' dash size resolved the issue.

• Geraldine_VdAuweraGeraldine_VdAuwera Cambridge, MAMember, Administrator, Broadie

For general information: we've seen this happen to people who write commands in a word processor (rather of text editor) and then copy/paste to console/terminal. Word processors will change some characters to be fancy -- they are just too helpful sometimes. Better stick with a simple text editor which won't try to do things you didn't ask for.