Service notice: Several of our team members are on vacation so service will be slow through at least July 13th, possibly longer depending on how much backlog accumulates during that time. This means that for a while it may take us more time than usual to answer your questions. Thank you for your patience.

FATAL root error, RealignerTargetCreator

I keep getting the same error message when running a command in GATK. I am using GATK 3.3 Eventually I would like to call SNPs, but want to realign around InDels first.

To make sure that my input files are correct, I used Picard: java -jar /programs/ValidateSamFile.jar I=merged_sorted_fixed.bam No errors were found.

I wrote:
java -jar /programs/GenomeAnalysisTK/GenomeAnalysisTK.jar \
-T RealignerTargetCreator\
-R target_sequences.fasta
-o merged_output.intervals \
-I merged_sorted_fixed.bam \
--minReadsAtLocus 4 \
--mismatchFraction 0

And this is the output:

" Adding rod class GFF
Adding rod class dbSNP
Adding rod class HapMapAlleleFrequencies
Adding rod class SAMPileup
Adding rod class GELI
Adding rod class RefSeq
Adding rod class Table
Adding rod class PooledEM
Adding rod class 1KGSNPs
Adding rod class SangerSNP
Adding rod class HapMapGenotype
Adding rod class Intervals
Adding rod class Variants 76 [main] INFO org.broadinstitute.sting.gatk.WalkerManager - plugin directory: /scratch/atk25/programs/GenomeAnalysisTK/walkers 100 [main] INFO org.broadinstitute.sting.gatk.WalkerManager - * Adding module CountLoci 101 [main] INFO org.broadinstitute.sting.gatk.WalkerManager - * Adding module PrintReads 101 [main] INFO org.broadinstitute.sting.gatk.WalkerManager - * Adding module Pileup 101 [main] INFO org.broadinstitute.sting.gatk.WalkerManager - * Adding module DepthOfCoverage 105 [main] INFO org.broadinstitute.sting.gatk.WalkerManager - * Adding module ValidatingPileup 106 [main] INFO org.broadinstitute.sting.gatk.WalkerManager - * Adding module CountReads 139 [main] FATAL root - Exception caught by base Command Line Program, with message: null 139 [main] FATAL root - with cause: null java.lang.NullPointerException at org.broadinstitute.sting.gatk.WalkerManager.createWalkerByName(WalkerManager.java:93) at org.broadinstitute.sting.gatk.GenomeAnalysisEngine.getWalkerByName(GenomeAnalysisEngine.java:157) at org.broadinstitute.sting.gatk.CommandLineGATK.getArgumentSources(CommandLineGATK.java:117) at org.broadinstitute.sting.utils.cmdLine.CommandLineProgram.start(CommandLineProgram.java:199) at org.broadinstitute.sting.gatk.CommandLineGATK.main(CommandLineGATK.java:58) java.lang.RuntimeException: java.lang.NullPointerException at org.broadinstitute.sting.utils.cmdLine.CommandLineProgram.start(CommandLineProgram.java:279) at org.broadinstitute.sting.gatk.CommandLineGATK.main(CommandLineGATK.java:58) Caused by: java.lang.NullPointerException at org.broadinstitute.sting.gatk.WalkerManager.createWalkerByName(WalkerManager.java:93) at org.broadinstitute.sting.gatk.GenomeAnalysisEngine.getWalkerByName(GenomeAnalysisEngine.java:157) at org.broadinstitute.sting.gatk.CommandLineGATK.getArgumentSources(CommandLineGATK.java:117) at org.broadinstitute.sting.utils.cmdLine.CommandLineProgram.start(CommandLineProgram.java:199)

... 1 more

An error has occurred. Please check your command line arguments for any typos or inconsistencies."

I'd really appreciate any help!

Answers

• Geraldine_VdAuweraGeraldine_VdAuwera Cambridge, MAMember, Administrator, Broadie

Hi there,

This look completely different from normal GATK output. Are you using GATK through a pipelining service like Galaxy or similar?

• AnnikaAnnika ArizonaMember

No, I wrote it in linux.

• Geraldine_VdAuweraGeraldine_VdAuwera Cambridge, MAMember, Administrator, Broadie

Hi @Annika,

Can you please check which version of GATK you are using? Some of the code elements mentioned in the stack track you posted date from much older versions and are no longer present in GATK 3.3, so it's not possible that you are using that version.

Hi Geraldine,
    GATK 3.3 is the only version installed on the cluster I'm using: When I call module avail, it only lists gatk/3.3-0.

Then I think you need to talk to your IT/sysadmin people, because the output you have there indicates you are running something close to version 1.0, which is downright ancient. My guess is someone made a mistake in your cluster setup and linked to the wrong program executable.

I'll talk to the IT person and let you know. Thank you for looking into it!

Hi Geraldine,
    Yes, it was an old version. With the new version it's running. Thank you for your advise!

• HasaniHasani GermanyMember

Dear GATK team,

could you please explain the following case to me:
    I'm calling mutations out of RNA-Seq data, my command looks like this:

java -Xms1024m -Xmx10g -jar $GATKPATH/GenomeAnalysisTK.jar \ -T RealignerTargetCreator \ -I $infile \ -o $out.indel.bam.list \ --filter_reads_with_N_cigar

For some files, the command was executed normally, and the pipeline continued. However, in some cases I got the error of demanding a reference (Walker requires a reference but none was provided.)

So could you please tell me what is going on? more importantly, if I should re-compute the successful ones?

Thank you

Hi @Hasani,

Look closely at your command line: there is an argument missing. The error message helpfully tells you which one...

I'm not sure why some of your commands are complete and some are not, but if I were you I'd check whatever script (or person) generates them.