Test-drive the GATK tools and Best Practices pipelines on Terra

Check out this blog post to learn how you can get started with GATK and try out the pipelines in preconfigured workspaces (with a user-friendly interface!) without having to install anything.

DepthOfCoverage interval_summary +1 on the start position of each intervals

Hi,

When I check the coordinates of intervals given by DepthOfCoverage "*.interval_summary" file, I found that it tried to add one on the start position of each intervals. For example, the original coordinates in my .bed interval file is 3669022-3669474, then the DOC will give 3669023-3669474, only the start position, not the end one, actually.

I am not sure whether this is caused by "start from 0" or "start from 1" problem, because I have no idea about the coordinates in my original bed files start from 1 or start from 0.

I just worry does GATK DOC will miss one base for each interval?

bless~
XL

Tagged:

Best Answers

Answers

• liuxingliangliuxingliang SingaporeMember

@Geraldine_VdAuwera said:
    That is the expected behavior when you use a bed file. If it's not what you want, you can either adjust your bed intervals or convert your bed file to a .list file.

Hi,

May I know why GATK will increase one on the start position, but not increase on the end position?

bless~
    XL

• liuxingliangliuxingliang SingaporeMember

@Geraldine_VdAuwera said:
    That is the expected behavior when you use a bed file. If it's not what you want, you can either adjust your bed intervals or convert your bed file to a .list file.

Hi Geraldine,

Thank you for your help. I think I know why already. After checking the interval file format for GATK, I know that GATK expect a picard format interval list, which is 1-based close (include start and end both), however, BED format is 0-based open (only include start, but exclude end), that's why GATK only increase 1 on my start postions of BED file.

bless~
    XL