Heads up:
We’re moving the GATK website, docs and forum to a new platform. Read the full story and breakdown of key changes on this blog.
Notice:
If you happen to see a question you know the answer to, please do chime in and help your fellow community members. We encourage our fourm members to be more involved, jump in and help out your fellow researchers with their questions. GATK forum is a community forum and helping each other with using GATK tools and research is the cornerstone of our success as a genomics research community.We appreciate your help!

Test-drive the GATK tools and Best Practices pipelines on Terra

Check out this blog post to learn how you can get started with GATK and try out the pipelines in preconfigured workspaces (with a user-friendly interface!) without having to install anything.

How to use bwa mem for paired-end Illumina reads

suggi_01suggi_01 germanyMember
edited November 2014 in Ask the GATK team

Dear All,

we would like to use the bwa mem algorithm for the alignment of paired-end (100 bp) Illumina reads and variant calling
with GATK. Unfortunately there are some problems understanding the command description.
Do I need to use the -p and [mates.fq] options for paired-end reads?
And what about simply using the command below?

bwa mem -M -t 16 ref.fa read1.fq read2.fq > aln.sam

Command description (http://bio-bwa.sourceforge.net/bwa.shtml):
"If mates.fq file is absent and option -p is not set, this command regards input reads are single-end. If mates.fq is present, this command assumes the i-th read in reads.fq and the i-th read in mates.fq constitute a read pair. If -p is used, the command assumes the 2i-th and the (2i+1)-th read in reads.fq constitute a read pair (such input file is said to be interleaved). In this case, mates.fq is ignored. In the paired-end mode, the mem command will infer the read orientation and the insert size distribution from a batch of reads.
The BWA-MEM algorithm performs local alignment. It may produce multiple primary alignments for different part of a query sequence. This is a crucial feature for long sequences. However, some tools such as Picard’s markDuplicates does not work with split alignments. One may consider to use option -M to flag shorter split hits as secondary."

We appreciate your help!

Best regards,
Sugi

Best Answer

Answers

• cruckertcruckert GermanyMember

If you have two fastq files your command:
    bwa mem -M -t 16 ref.fa read1.fq read2.fq > aln.sam
    is absolutely fine. Your read2.fq is called mates.fq in the bwa examples. If you view the first lines of both files the read names are identical despite a 1 or 2 for the corresponding read of the pair.

If you only have one interleaved fastq file you would use the -p option:
    bwa mem -M -t 16 -p ref.fa read.fq > aln.sam
    In this case both reads of a pair are in the same fastq file successively. Have a look at the read names.

For the unlikely case you would like to handle your paired-end reads as single ends the command is:
    bwa mem -M -t 16 ref.fa read.fq > aln.sam

• ss.santosss.santos LisbonMember

Hi, I have a set of paired end reads that were heavily contaminated with adapters, and after I cleaned them only about 30% of both pairs survived, and I got a big single-end file remaining. Is there any way I can run bwa mem with 3 sets of reads, 2 pair-ended and one single-ended? I tried the command below, but I got the exact same result as when I used only the pair-ended files, so it seems like bwa mem simply didn't read the third file.

bwa mem ref.fa reads1.fq reads2.fq single_end.fq > reads.sam

Thanks a lot to anyone who can give me a hand!!

Sandra

• SheilaSheila Broad InstituteMember, Broadie admin

@ss.santos
    Hi Sandra,

We cannot help with bwa questions. However, I think bwa mem takes only paired reads or single end reads. Instead of adding all three files, add the two paired end files and the single end file separately. http://bio-bwa.sourceforge.net/bwa.shtml

-Sheila

• ss.santosss.santos LisbonMember

Hi Sheila, thanks for that. Another question, about the read group. I read that it's important for gatk's downstream processing, but I've never used it. Where do I find the information to create the read group information??

Sandra

@ss.santos
    Hi Sandra,

I think this article will answer all of your questions: http://gatkforums.broadinstitute.org/discussion/1317/collected-faqs-about-bam-files

-Sheila

• Hi, I am trying to run BWA using the following command:

module load bwa/0.7.15

time bwa mem -aCMP -t 12 -R '@RG ID:MiSeq SM:VA-002 PL:illumina LB:XT40 PU:Batch22' referencebasename R1_001.fastq.gz R2_001.fastq.gz > VA-002-aligned_reads.sam

Error is: [E::bwa_idx_load_from_disk] fail to locate the index files real 0m0.005s user 0m0.001s sys 0m0.001s /var/spool/torque/mom_priv/jobs/2184674.pbs.scm.SC: line 12: R2_001.fastq.gz: command not found

So it seems to be unable to read which of the files are my indexes and which are the read pairs? I have already ran bwa index successfully and the samtools faidx on the reference.

Thanks!

@imginger
    Hi,

Have a look at this thread. We don't provide support for bwa, but if you google the error message, you should find some other helpful threads :smile:

-Sheila

• dhwani2410dhwani2410 Member
    edited November 2017

how to do exact mapping using BWA. What is the parameter used for it .
    How can we use the option -M INT: Mismatch penalty for the same. I want to only keep reads with exact mapping to the reference sequence.

Post edited by dhwani2410 on
  • EADGEADG KielMember ✭✭✭

Hi @dhwani2410,

if you want only reads with exact mapping, just filter your mapped sam file. If you run bwa mem with default options (Matching Score is 1 ) a perfect matching read should have an alignment score which is identical to the read length.

This thread on seqAnswers explain to you who to do it :)
    seqanswers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=24123

Greetings EADG

• BegaliBegali GermanyMember ✭✭

@Sheila
    @Geraldine_VdAuwera

I am mapping one input fastq( Panceratics cfDNA) with bwa mem
    bwa mem hg83 input.fq -> output.sam
    RAM memory around 32GB

but [M::bwa_idx_load_from_disk] read 0 ALT contigs
    more than 3 hours still in the first line
    is there any parameter should be add as I applied before last year but with plant genome was fine now also with plant the same problem still [M::bwa_idx_load_from_disk] read 0 ALT contigs
    I want to check if bwa mem command line has been updated or what

Thanks in advance

@Begali
    Hi,

Are you using the latest version of BWA? You may want to check with their team as well, since we do not help with BWA questions.

-Sheila

• BegaliBegali GermanyMember ✭✭

@Sheila
    hi

yes last version and many thanks for your reply , the problem was solved. it worked suddenly

-Begali

• madzayasodaramadzayasodara UCLAMember
    edited January 26
    Hello,
    I am using:
    bwa mem -R @RG\tID:firstrun\tSM:1Z_S57\tPL:illumina\tLB:lib1\tPU:006 -p ref.fa read_u.fq > aln.sam
    to align my paired-end reads, and the alignment happens without errors.
    However, in the log files I see:
    [M::mem_process_seqs] Processed 87234 reads in 15.023 CPU sec, 14.867 real sec
    [M::process] 101954 single-end sequences; 0 paired-end sequences
    [M::process] read 115544 sequences (9922652 bp)...
    Does this means that my reads are being aligned as single-end?
    -madza
  • bhanuGandhambhanuGandham Cambridge MAMember, Administrator, Broadie, Moderator admin

HI @madzayasodara

Has @SkyWarrior's suggestion resolved your issue?