Hi GATK Users,

Happy Thanksgiving!
Our staff will be observing the holiday and will be unavailable from 22nd to 25th November. This will cause a delay in reaching out to you and answering your questions immediately. Rest assured we will get back to it on Monday November 26th. We are grateful for your support and patience.
Have a great holiday everyone!!!

Regards
GATK Staff

VariantRecalibrator erro: Bad input: Found annotations with zero variance.

romulucromuluc BrazilMember

Hi,
I'm trying to run GATK recalibration pipeline to my data:

java -jar /opt/bin/GenomeAnalysisTK-3.2-0/GenomeAnalysisTK.jar -T VariantRecalibrator -R ../reference/chrall.fa -input output.vcf \ -resource:hapmap,known=false,training=true,truth=true,prior=15.0 ../hapmap_3.3.hg18.vcf \ -resource:omni,known=false,training=true,truth=true,prior=12.0 ../1000G_omni2.5.hg19.sites.vcf \ -resource:1000G,known=false,training=true,truth=false,prior=10.0 ../1000G_phase1.indels.hg19.sites.vcf \ -resource:dbsnp,known=true,training=false,truth=false,prior=2.0 ../dbsnp_138.hg19.vcf \ -an DP \ -an QD \ -an FS \ -an MQRankSum \ -an ReadPosRankSum -mode SNP \ -tranche 100.0 -tranche 99.9 -tranche 99.0 -tranche 90.0 \ -recalFile recalibrate_SNP.recal -tranchesFile recalibrate_SNP.tranches -rscriptFile recalibrate_SNP_plots.R

But I'm getting the folling error:

**##### ERROR

ERROR MESSAGE: Bad input: Found annotations with zero variance. They must be excluded before proceeding.
ERROR ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------**

Can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong?
Thanks,

Rômulo

Answers

• Geraldine_VdAuweraGeraldine_VdAuwera Cambridge, MAMember, Administrator, Broadie admin

Hi Romulo,

Can you tell us a little more about how the data was generated? How did you perform the variant calling?

• romulucromuluc BrazilMember

Dear Geraldine,

We have a run with a dozen of samples... I just run calling to one, using in input all chromossomes as reference, but a put -L chr11 to focus result to get a snp which I'm trying to recover:

java -jar /opt/bin/GenomeAnalysisTK-3.2-0/GenomeAnalysisTK.jar -T HaplotypeCaller -I B1.bam -R ../chrall.fa -L chr11 --genotyping_mode DISCOVERY -stand_emit_conf 10 -stand_call_conf 30 -o output.vcf

Something is wrong ?
    Thanks!

Rômulo

• Geraldine_VdAuweraGeraldine_VdAuwera Cambridge, MAMember, Administrator, Broadie admin

Oh I see. You can't run Variant Recalibration on only a chromosome's worth of data because that does not provide enough information to the program. The typical requirement for VQSR is either one whole-genome sample or ~30 exomes.

• romulucromuluc BrazilMember

Geraldine,

So I have to run the variant calling without -L parameter?

Thanks!
    Rômulo

Yes, if your samples are whole-genome. If they are exomes, you should use -L to provide the exome capture targets list.