Test-drive the GATK tools and Best Practices pipelines on Terra

Check out this blog post to learn how you can get started with GATK and try out the pipelines in preconfigured workspaces (with a user-friendly interface!) without having to install anything.

HaplotypeCaller error: Somehow the requested coordinate is not covered by the read

I am attempting to use the HaplotypeCaller to call indels and SNPs in genomes from the Illumina Platinum Genomes pedigree (http://www.illumina.com/platinumgenomes/). I did these steps before running haplotype caller:

• alignment with BWA mem
  • mark duplicates with Picard
  • Indel realignment

I am now trying to run haplotype caller (version 3.2-2-gec30cee) with the realigned BAM files and am getting the following error:

##### ERROR stack trace
org.broadinstitute.gatk.utils.exceptions.ReviewedGATKException: Somehow the requested coordinate is not covered by the read. Alignment 10357 | 86M15H
at org.broadinstitute.gatk.utils.sam.ReadUtils.getReadCoordinateForReferenceCoordinate(ReadUtils.java:573)
at org.broadinstitute.gatk.utils.sam.ReadUtils.getReadCoordinateForReferenceCoordinate(ReadUtils.java:429)
at org.broadinstitute.gatk.utils.sam.ReadUtils.getReadCoordinateForReferenceCoordinateUpToEndOfRead(ReadUtils.java:425)
at org.broadinstitute.gatk.tools.walkers.annotator.BaseQualityRankSumTest.getElementForRead(BaseQualityRankSumTest.java:76)
at org.broadinstitute.gatk.tools.walkers.annotator.RankSumTest.getElementForRead(RankSumTest.java:200)
at org.broadinstitute.gatk.tools.walkers.annotator.RankSumTest.fillQualsFromLikelihoodMap(RankSumTest.java:179)
at org.broadinstitute.gatk.tools.walkers.annotator.RankSumTest.annotate(RankSumTest.java:102)
at org.broadinstitute.gatk.tools.walkers.annotator.interfaces.InfoFieldAnnotation.annotate(InfoFieldAnnotation.java:49)
at org.broadinstitute.gatk.tools.walkers.annotator.VariantAnnotatorEngine.annotateContextForActiveRegion(VariantAnnotatorEngine.java:217)
at org.broadinstitute.gatk.tools.walkers.haplotypecaller.HaplotypeCallerGenotypingEngine.assignGenotypeLikelihoods(HaplotypeCallerGenotypingEngine.java:265)
at org.broadinstitute.gatk.tools.walkers.haplotypecaller.HaplotypeCaller.map(HaplotypeCaller.java:941)
at org.broadinstitute.gatk.tools.walkers.haplotypecaller.HaplotypeCaller.map(HaplotypeCaller.java:218)
at org.broadinstitute.gatk.engine.traversals.TraverseActiveRegions$TraverseActiveRegionMap.apply(TraverseActiveRegions.java:708)
at org.broadinstitute.gatk.engine.traversals.TraverseActiveRegions$TraverseActiveRegionMap.apply(TraverseActiveRegions.java:704)
at org.broadinstitute.gatk.utils.nanoScheduler.NanoScheduler.executeSingleThreaded(NanoScheduler.java:274)
at org.broadinstitute.gatk.utils.nanoScheduler.NanoScheduler.execute(NanoScheduler.java:245)
at org.broadinstitute.gatk.engine.traversals.TraverseActiveRegions.traverse(TraverseActiveRegions.java:273)
at org.broadinstitute.gatk.engine.traversals.TraverseActiveRegions.traverse(TraverseActiveRegions.java:78)
at org.broadinstitute.gatk.engine.executive.LinearMicroScheduler.execute(LinearMicroScheduler.java:99)
at org.broadinstitute.gatk.engine.GenomeAnalysisEngine.execute(GenomeAnalysisEngine.java:314)
at org.broadinstitute.gatk.engine.CommandLineExecutable.execute(CommandLineExecutable.java:121)
at org.broadinstitute.gatk.utils.commandline.CommandLineProgram.start(CommandLineProgram.java:248)
at org.broadinstitute.gatk.utils.commandline.CommandLineProgram.start(CommandLineProgram.java:155)
at org.broadinstitute.gatk.engine.CommandLineGATK.main(CommandLineGATK.java:107)
##### ERROR ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
##### ERROR A GATK RUNTIME ERROR has occurred (version 3.2-2-gec30cee):
##### ERROR
##### ERROR This might be a bug. Please check the documentation guide to see if this is a known problem.
##### ERROR If not, please post the error message, with stack trace, to the GATK forum.
##### ERROR Visit our website and forum for extensive documentation and answers to
##### ERROR commonly asked questions http://www.broadinstitute.org/gatk
##### ERROR
##### ERROR MESSAGE: Somehow the requested coordinate is not covered by the read. Alignment 10357 | 86M15H
##### ERROR ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Notably, I don’t get this error when analyzing the same BAMs with UnifiedGenotyper. I have isolated a BAM file with ~1300 reads that can recreate the problem but couldn’t narrow it down further. The command I used is:

java -jar GenomeAnalysisTK.jar \
 -T HaplotypeCaller  \
 -R Homo_sapiens_assembly19_withchr.fasta \
 -I del.bam \
 -o del.hc.vcf \
 --output_mode EMIT_ALL_SITES

Best Answers

Answers